NeroFotia's EJ1 DD

zboyracer

5+ Year Member
Great write up! I spent a few months living in Yucca Valley and 29 Palms a few years ago during the summer. I don't envy you and your not so great A/C. GL with the build up!

Raabe

Hell yea I suck toes!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Ill be following your build, but not reading it :rolf:

Need anything lemme know.

EDIT
I just tried to read all that, and after about 2hrs, i realized i was 50% through the 2nd post....

and the nice and neat layout of every post. :thumbs up

95coupeWI

Registered VIP
One hell of a write up, and one hell of a rip off lol you payed 2000 for that thing? hah but good to see your doing it right

Robin...

D-Series Soldier
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It needs work, but nothing is impossible bro, good luck...

nerofotia

n00b
Hey, so a quick FYI: the oil pan gasket takes FOREVER to take off.

It started out with a quick "I'm gonna replace the cat" job. It ended up taking me a full 2 days to get it running again.

But, I passed smog!

nerofotia

n00b
I'd just replace that hood IMO.
Good stuff though.
I thought about going CF for the hood, but an OEM replacement will be more than enough for my long-term goals.

Hood replacement before the end of the year. Fender, too. And the transmission. Maybe the exhaust. Maybe the seats, if I can find any Integra seats for it. Windows get tinted next weekend. Suspension replacement before Thanksgiving. We'll see.

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
cf hood on black is kinda dumb imo and a waste of money that you could use else where, cause you cant tell the difference really, but gl on your build man

nerofotia

n00b
Crap.
Down side of getting into this YEARS behind everyone else: The JDM stuff that I want for comfort and convenience is damn near impossible to find.
Instructions, but SOLD OUT of the parts.

Guess I can try calling the vendor in here...(Yeah, called during business hours. They have none either.)

nerofotia

n00b
Windows tinted FTW!

I'm thrilled to report that my windows are tinted. Got it done Friday morning.

Jon from Desert Sun Control did the work at his tint garage in Palm Desert, CA. Super laid back guy, cut me a good deal on the price. The tint looks so good, I had him throw a vinyl decal with his logo/phone number on the rear window. (I know it would have been nice to have a reference like that when I was looking for a tint shop myself.) Maybe he'll get some business out of it.

What was NOT fun was the drive back to 29 Palms from Palm Springs. That whole don't roll your windows down for 24 hours after tinting thing, combined with the fact that my A/C doesn't blow cold right now made for a miserable hour-long drive home.

I installed front door speakers and tweeters today. It's amazing how something like that gives a real boost to the "quality of life" when driving. As soon as I get a few more fixes in, this baby should be a real thrill to drive everywhere...

nerofotia

n00b
I'm getting pretty excited.

Finally got the money I've been waiting on to buy a huge influx of parts.
Since Wednesday, I have bought:

A reconditioned transmission
EXEDY Clutch Kit
Master Cylinder
Slave Cylinder
New engine & Transmission mounts (OEM replacement)
Front & rear shocks (OEM replacement)
Front & rear springs (OEM replacement)
Energy Suspension HyperFlex Master Kit, which includes:
  • Front Control Arm Bushings
  • Rear Control Arm Bushings
  • Front Shock Mount Bushings
  • Rear Shock Mount Bushings
  • Front End Links Set
  • Steering Rack Bushings
  • Transmission Shifter Stabilizer Bushings
  • Ball Joint End Boots
  • Tie Rod End Boots
Energy Suspension Rear Trailing Arm Bushings
Energy Suspension Front Sway Bar Bushings

So, before I go take my car apart- anything I'm missing in the parts list? Gaskets, seals, stuff that I "might as well" do since I'm in there and have this all out?

I'm waiting for the parts to start rolling in, then I'm taking a week off of work to get this all done.

95coupeWI

Registered VIP
Nice dude, he drive a civic? I know a good amount of guys around here that do so i might know him. And good to hear your making some progress, that's a big list ya just got, lucky ;)

nerofotia

n00b
So here we go...
I got a hood with minimal damage and a front right fender at a local junkyard for $60. Yes, I know it's the wrong color.

The hood's gonna hang out in my garage for a year or so until I replenish my car funds.

I'm not entirely sure why I took a picture of this with the wheel off. I think it's because everyone asks for pictures, but when I'm working, I don't particularly have time for a play by play.

So, I'm prepping the engine to pull it out.

So, I'm prepping the engine to pull it out. I wasn't going to, initially, but just by getting ready to do some of the originally planned work, I have discovered:
A leaking freeze plug. Not bad, but enough to gunk up the engine.
A very minor oil leak...somewhere. I'm guessing one of the side seals, since I just recently replaced the oil pan gasket. Those will be replaced.
A bad front hub bearing. I replace in pairs, so there's 2 more parts I need.
Bad tie rod ends. Again- pairs.

Since I will have it out, I'm gonna clean it up some and get several years' worth of gunk cleaned off. Why not, you know?

As of right now, the front end suspension is removed and disassembled. I got the energy suspension hyperflex kit in the mail last night, so once I clean the factory parts up, I can start to get them prepped for reinstallation by reassembling some of it. Still waiting on shocks and springs, though; good thing I've got more to do than just suspension.

This is taking way longer than I anticipated- the new transmission is sitting in the front seat, waiting to go in. The clutch rebuild kit is in the trunk with a multitude of other parts that are begging to be installed. I am enjoying the work, but having a hard time setting any kind of order to the process- sometimes I have so much to do, I don't know WHAT to do. So I try to keep moving and working so I don't waste valuable garage time. Trips to the tool room are a serious pain in the ass, though, and probably the biggest waste of time for me.

New engine & Transmission mounts (OEM replacement) (pending delivery)
Front & rear shocks (OEM replacement) (pending delivery)
Front & rear springs (OEM replacement) (pending delivery)
Tie Rod Ends (pending delivery)
Front Hub Bearings (pending delivery)

A reconditioned transmission (received)
EXEDY Clutch Kit (received)
Master Cylinder (received)
Slave Cylinder (received)
Energy Suspension HyperFlex Master Kit, which includes:
  • Front Control Arm Bushings (received)
  • Rear Control Arm Bushings (received)
  • Front Shock Mount Bushings (received)
  • Rear Shock Mount Bushings (received)
  • Front End Links Set (received)
  • Steering Rack Bushings (received)
  • Transmission Shifter Stabilizer Bushings (received)
  • Ball Joint End Boots (received)
  • Tie Rod End Boots (received)
Energy Suspension Rear Trailing Arm Bushings (received)
Energy Suspension Front Sway Bar Bushings (received)
Inner fender/wheel well liners (partial shipments- received L side, pending delivery R side)

stuco

5+ Year Member
Great work on your car so far. You could probably prep that fender and hood yourself and get a shop to spray them black for you or spray it yourself. It's only a couple parts and would not take much work at all. I know you will eventually need more paint work but it would make a big difference in the meantime.

nerofotia

n00b
OK. Got almost all of the parts from November's big buy installed. My job interfered with my garage time for a bit.

In the process of doing all that work, I also replaced the front & rear main seals, and the O-ring at the distributor. The O-ring I replaced was brittle, and had been leaking for who knows how long. Well, that oil leaked right down onto the heater core coolant hose, which burst on me while driving on I-10, about an hour from home. I was WAY overheated before I even noticed anything was wrong...and although I replaced the bad hose immediately, it was only 2 months before I had to replace the head gasket...again. (that's twice now.) So that brings it to February some time...

So, I just bought an EJ8 for my wife, but it needs a lot of work. Since part of the work it needs is an exhaust manifold, I did some shopping online for her, and got this Stainless Steel Header to replace the cracked exhaust manifold in her car. And then I thought for about 10 seconds, and decided that the header should go in MY ride, and she could have MY OEM manifold.

I hit the garage today with the manifold in the trunk, and loaded up the rear-end suspension parts that have been waiting since November.

The header went on without issues. I will say, for anyone else doing similar parts swapping, that you will need to buy new self-locking nuts to secure the header on to the head. I am currently re-using the old ones, because I had no idea.

The rear suspension parts...well, I don't know what to say. I THOUGHT that I had everything to renew/upgrade my suspension. But the Energy Suspension HyperFlex Master Kit does NOT include THESE rear upper control arm bushings, which are made by Prothane. These little bastards are what I need to put into the car to replace the unbearable squeaking every time I roll over ANYTHING that isn't perfectly smooth.

Anyway, I have assembled the shocks and springs, and they're ready to go on. I'm debating doing any of the poly install work until after I have everything; I will have to look at it with fresh eyes in the morning to decide.

Oh- and the manifold my wife's Civic was supposed to inherit from my car? It's cracked, too. Guess I'll be installing ANOTHER header. Oh, and don't bother trying to take the old O2 sensor out- it's worth the $60 to just buy a new one. Seriously.

nerofotia

n00b
OK.
Opted to wait on swapping out the bushings for the rear suspension until I got everything I needed. I did, however, install the new shocks & springs. For good measure, I used silicone spray on the existing rubber bushings to make them STFU. (It worked, too- we'll see for how long!)

Started installing my HOP Center console, but it's missing a key piece to mount it to the dash. Part of the plastic is cracked, too, and before I go do something stupid, I'm going to find out the RIGHT way to fix it, since replacing that shiz is damn near impossible (and definitely not practical).

Replaced the head unit today so that my CDs would stop getting stuck. I've had the replacement for some time now, just haven't had the time to f*(k with it. Considering messing with the speakers tomorrow. Not too sure what I'm doing, so that should be fun.

It's late & I'm tired. Wish me luck on the speakers tomorrow.