New Camera

20civic04

5+ Year Member
Im thinking about getting a new camera. Im not looking for something to crazy just something that can take some nice photos. Any one have any experience with the Canon PowerShot S5 IS 8-Megapixel Digital Camera, i saw it at circuit city the other day for only 300. Is it worth the buy or should i look for something a little more expensive like the Nikon D60.

ferio-moreno

PS Veteran
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I had an S2 IS a few yrs back and it beat out every other P & S camera in every way (imo), so i would assume that the S5 is going to improve on everything the S2 had.

20civic04

5+ Year Member
Yea hopefully. Ive beem using my sisters S2 IS and its pretty good. Also i was wondering how much of a difference in picture quality it would be from say something like an S5 or even the S2 to a D60 or soemthing similar in that 500-600 dollar range.

Jason-

jdm king :p
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I have a d40 2 lens kit, and I love it. I wish I had a d80 or something with more focus points, but oh well. And the guys at the store I bought mine from pretty much said its not worth the extra cash to move up from the d40 to a d60. :/ But who knows.

-Jason

ferio-moreno

PS Veteran
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
imo, im assuming the d40 has better picture quality, since its an slr (different sensor). the bigger the sensor, the better the photo quality. the S2/S5 has the biggest sensors of the P & S cameras. thats why its got the best quality of those, but slr quality is a different ball game.

20civic04

5+ Year Member
would a higher end point and shoot like a s5 be anywhere near the quality of a lower end dslr.
Thanks