New car advice - to buy or not?

hitchhiker

5+ Year Member
Hey guys

Hopefully this is the right place to post this!

I'm chopping in my old heap of a motor for something a bit better. Having looked around all over the place, the Honda Civic stood out. I've found a good looking 2001 1.6i VTEC that seems to fit the bill - relatively low mileage (38,000 miles) and looks to have ben serviced regularly in the main.

The only issue I experienced was that when I took it out the CEL was on. The salesman advised that this was because it had had a flat battery, which was clearly wrong but there you go. It turned over fine on the forecourt and idled happily enough (absolutely purred, no bizarre engine noise with load and seems spotless under the hood).

I drove out about 3 miles, still no adverse affects, and then climbed a hill. As I applied more gas, climbing in 4to make sure it had pull, it suddenly hit a rev limiter at around 3500RPM and I had to downshift to keep going. This happened in two other spots on the test drive, and the salesman quickly stated that there was obviously something else going on that they'd look into.

The motor also stalled when stationary and idling, and required gas to be put on to keep the motor running before pulling away (but stay away from the 3500 revs!!).

On the basis of sorting this issue out, I've said that I'm interested in the motor, but would want another test drive once fixed and would also want evidence of what they found and how they fixed it.

They seemed pretty up front about all of this, but I wondered what people think it may be? Reading the forum, 02 sensors and catalytic converters seem to be the main culprit. Just want to make sure I ask the right questions when I see it again.

I guess the other thing to ask is this; should I be walking away? I had a friend who got a relatively new Accord and had this same issue (02 sensor) after his warranty ran out, and I'm thinking better to know it's been sorted before I take the car away than buy something that seems good only to have it bite me in the ass in a couple of months.

Thanks in advance!

CivicMafia

5+ Year Member
Well, if your hitting a rev limiter that could mean the car was used for some commercial use, alot of major compaines put rev limiters on their vehicles..

But if it feels like its dying at high end rpms my guess is, Fuel pump, Injectors, Fuel filter.

If it shuttters at high rpms, Worn out Main bearing, Cad conv, o2 sensor

hitchhiker

5+ Year Member
Yeah, definitely in limp mode.

Is it possible to mask the issue by changing something else, or once in limp mode will it stay there (or revert back to it if cleared) until the issue is fixed?

It's definitely a limiter that I'm hitting, then cutting out at standstill once warm. Walk away or stick with them until they've fixed it?

hitchhiker

5+ Year Member
Well, yes. I wouldn't buy it broken. Would it be easy for them to con me, though, and mask the issue?

jonathan2006

D17A2 User
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
im not sure
can you guys do a carfax report or something similar in the UK?

nyghtryder

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i would walk sounds too risky to buy a new car that is already having problems. it could be an easy fix like an o2 sensor or could be much worse.

Renzo21

Nice Bowl of D17 Soup...
5+ Year Member
It's fine. The MAP sensor is just a part that goes bad. It's just like air mass meters in other cars. Some just break or don't sense right early. The cars fine. If it looks clean, runs, well, it should be fine...

hitchhiker

5+ Year Member
Yep, figured that after reading about the sensors everywhere. Went and picked the motor up yesterday and have already had 130 miles of care free driving. It runs absolutely beautifully, goes right through the rev range and is fantastically responsive.

Love it!

toneekay

Rubbin on yo booty
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Wait, you bought a new car or just the motor?

LowNotSlow

Aqua Teen Christmas Force
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
He's british, the car is also called a motor.