new civics 01 - present

98CIVICSI

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
hey all new to the site and actually wanted to know some of your opinions on the new body civics personally dont like them think the changes made to the civic are garbage .... suspension is much to be disired, the seats sit too high and dont like the new shape!! what do you all think???

Wss

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I agree although i like the honda integra type r but would prefer an older civic or honda for that matter.

SlammedBlueEM2

Brunettes > Blondes
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hmm... glad this is all opinionated...

COUPES:

Bone stock Vs. Bone stock: I'd pick the 6th gen. The 7th sometimes looks too high. 6th Gen > 7th Gen

Vs. 6th gens at a glance: I love the body lines on the 7th better. I don't like door moldings. I just love how the shape from the side is a lot more sleeker. (For instance the trunk, to the windows to the front fenders line up nicely and the lines of the cage is sleek.) The body of the 7th gen looks to be a bit larger but I wonder why with some models it's a few 100 lbs lighter? 6th Gen < 7th Gen

Front and rear: Perhaps where the 7th gen loses as this also seems to be where the cars will stand out the most or look like everything else. The front design of the 01-03 Civics is ok, but entirely the design of the 99-00 is better. I actually like the 01-03 headlights. The front bumper is plain but I can't say it's ugly or really special. The grille again is okay but there are better. As far as the 04 goes, the headlights are Toyotas, the front bumper is a smaller, more defined version of the Civic Hybrid sedan (I don't like bumpers that smile), but the grille looks fine. The lines on the hood are now a bit deeper which is nice. The 04 shows that the new Civic further loses more of it's uniqueness.

The rear... hands down, 6th gen. Don't think anyone would really disagree that the 99-00 red/white tails were simple and clean. I also like the OEM rear lip. The 7th gen gets a totally different approach. It's brake lights appear to be the shape of the "C" from the new "CIVIC" emblem, and at first I thought that was sort of cool. Although the trunk lid shape is still similiar to that of the 6th gens, the tailight shape... and among other things up front convinced a lot of people that the new Civic looked like a "Baby Accord" (6th gen). lol The 04 gets new tails that're now 3-D-ish (think Altezzas), and are bright red, replacing the C with a brake light that appears to be like a larger turn signal. I don't like that they're transparent... in fact, I'll keep my stock 02s. The rear bumper however is what I like. It's design however is nothing new from Honda, but it's lower thus is lines up with the body better. 6th gen > 7th Gen

OEM lips/body kits: Tough call... but I think the 6th gen edges out. The new 04 kit looks a lot better than the 01-03, but I did like the 01-03 rear lip. The front looked a lil' too bulky. 6th gen > 7th Gen

Interior: 7th gen wins. There's not much difference to it except the 7th gen... especially the 03+ have better gauges. The layout is almost the same between 6th and 7th gens but I'll have to say 7th Gens. I don't really have a good reason for it. Oh yeah, I forgot to add, the 7th gen has more leg-room front and back. 6th gen < 7th Gen

OEM spoiler: Although the 6th gen can pull it off a bit better, WINGLESS CIVICS OWN. 6th gen > 7th Gen

Lowering: The body of the 6th gens look like they can go lower over the wheels, but regardless you'll know how good the shape of your car is once it's closer to the wheels. Both cars look exclusively better but 7th gens win here. Only because from stock to say "slammed" they look a LOT different and a lot better. IMO, it looks a bit sportier. 6th Gen < 7th Gen

The suspension thing: I've never owned a Honda that was double-wishbone or to say the least, MacPherson-less up front. What I understand is that the MacPherson design up front is not as desirable to tune as well as the fact that it's an older and cheaper design. In the end, I don't think this means the 7th gens are bad handling cars when in fact they do handle quite good. I don't know what the weight distribution for the 6th gens were front and rear, but the 7th gens are 59/41 I believe... almost perfect for a front-engine, front-wheel drive car. I can't really give an opinion. 6th Gen ? 7th Gen

In the end: The 6th gen is now an 8 year old design, although the coupe will always be a favorable car to look at (99-00s especially), like it's direct cousin the 3rd gen Integra it is beginning to show it's age starting from the inside going out. I remember reading somewhere that the person (or people) who designed the 7th gen is different than the person who did the 6th gens.

BTW, you guys can copy and paste and/or add your own kind of categories from mine.

Sedans? Hatchbacks? Without going into detail I favor the look of both as 6th gens, however in my eyes, the sedan's look ages the fastest while the hatchback can somewhat hang with the coupe.

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
the original 7th gen civics were either 3dr and 5dr hatchbacks, or 4dr sedans. they were designed by honda europe (or specifically, honda UK). the coupes are usdm vehicles that have been exported to other countries. they have been "adapted" from the ferios.

personally, i love the 3dr and 5dr hatches. looks better than its current competitor, the peugeot 307. i'd take a civic over a 307 any time.

Handlebars

None Taken.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
*moved to 7th gen forum where it belongs*

nightkids1

Old School Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Outside: well as for lips, i love the lips for the 6thgen, but they make some nice ones for the 7thgen (look at mine).

Inside: way more room then 6thgen, infact everything inside the 7thgen is better, mainly the 03 si seats

Engine: as for the d17 vs d16, both engines suck. But as for the k20 vs b16, id say k20 because it has 20lbs more tq. After all tq is what wins races.

Suspension: Dont reall know to much, I can go fast around corners and so can my friend with his 6thgen.

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
i didn't like the 7gen interiors much, cept for the shifter on the Si. they look rather cheap to me. just my opinion.

SlammedBlueEM2

Brunettes > Blondes
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Originally posted by nightkids1
Engine: as for the d17 vs d16, both engines suck.
For some reason the D17 is producing way more torque than the D16s when boosted.

98CIVICSI

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
the newer civics i personally think look like crap ... dont get me wrong i am a Honda person will swear by Honda but the new civics just dont like them at ALL ... the 01- look awkward and the hatches look like a bloody golf with mods!!! my opinion the best looking civics and best handling civics are the 96-00

dannmartys

n00b basher in training
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i like the colour, i like the mods, and i really like the colour

nightkids1

Old School Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
even though i have a 7thgen, my favorute is the 99 hb!! i wanted one before i got this car, but people want to much for used cars with to many miles these days.

Thank you Fast and the Furious for raising prices on civics with 100000 miles!!!!:evil:

vtecbabe01

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
While I do like the 6th gens, I have to favor the 7th gen, otherwise i wouldn't have gotten one. The only thing I have mixed feelings about are the tails. They are very ford focus-y.

EX4dr

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'm a 7th gen sedan myself. maybe it's personal opinion but I like my vic's body line. I like the interior as well. I just wish there was more to chose from in the mod dpt.

Cyps

Thats my real name.
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i got a 2004 with the new front and rear bumpers, headlights and taillights, but id rather have 2000 Si coupe any day.

honda209

CCSC # 8
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i like all civics when i really stand by them watching them from diff angles. then i wlak around the car i like sum angles sum i dont. i duno i guess i just love civics ,i do have a lil preference for 6th gen hb's n coupes though. i really like mah car too though

SlammedBlueEM2

Brunettes > Blondes
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Originally posted by vtecbabe01
While I do like the 6th gens, I have to favor the 7th gen, otherwise i wouldn't have gotten one. The only thing I have mixed feelings about are the tails. They are very ford focus-y.
Ford stole the design of the Civic coupe from Honda and used it on their Focus. All "proud" 7th gen Civic owners should know this.

FreakTimmah

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Originally posted by SlammedBlueEM2
Ford stole the design of the Civic coupe from Honda and used it on their Focus. All "proud" 7th gen Civic owners should know this.
actually no they didn't,

first of all ford doesn't make a 2 door focus coupe, therefore they can't steal the coupe design. second of all the only real similarites that are apparent to me are the taillights, everything else about the focus is preaty much a polar oposite of the civic. and the tailights on the 7th gen civics are rather generic looking if you ask me. i've seen a few cars with similar taillights.

of course you forgot the most important thing of all in your incorrect assumtion, the focus was relased in 98 in europe, and the four door US market focus came in 99. a few YEARS before the 7th gen coupes. so your preaty much wrong on your assumptions. but heres what your right about

the focus is in direct competition with honda, so since they are compeating for the same market share it makes a fair amount of sense that both cars have a few things in commen.

however as far as ford ripping honda off? haha, boy did you hit the nail on the head with that one. man you guys should see the 05 focus for the US market. europe gets a brand new focus while we get a toned down, smothed out civic wanna be version of the current one. seriously everything about the new focus screams civic, its just sad:(

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
7th gen civics and the ford focus are both UK designed models. the coupe and sedan have been adapted from the original hatchback models (for both civics and focii)... in europe 3dr and 5dr hatches are quite popular.