new cluster, tach not working

95civiccx

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i just bought a cluster out of a 95 ex for my 95 cx hatch. After getting everything hooked up i went for a ride, i noticed that the tach only goes to about 4k before it is time to shift, and it does this for every gear. I thought my engines redline was liek 6500. did i screw something up when i installed it? did i get a broken cluster? is it cool that the cruise control light lights up when its time to shift?

thanks
mark

loccusst

Experienced Noob
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The cruise control lights up when it's time to shift???? Sounds like you got a modafied cluster....probably why it doesn't work right.

rei

jSolo
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
take it out and make sure everythings hooked up right..

2000civicracer

Looking for a Civic Again
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i have to agree with both of them it might be a modded cluster or you might have wired something really wrong

t3t4h22

BUY MY HATCH!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
2000civicracer said:
i have to agree with both of them it might be a modded cluster or you might have wired something really wrong
i doubt its an installation poroblem, kind of hard to mix up 4 plugs, especially when none of them will fit into the other plug jacks.... probably a shorted circuit in the inst cluster, or its been modded...cant see why anybody would purposely mod an ip to do that though.... :???:

Blazed

f**k The Powers That B
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
exactly why would some1 mod it to be lihe that..
i say a short somewhere too..

95civiccx

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
is there anything i can do to fix it or am i stuck with a messed up cluster?

95civiccx

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
correction: the tach does work it just goes up to 4500 and then i hit redline, i know my redline isn't 4500, maybe something in my car is messed up, not the cluster??

t3t4h22

BUY MY HATCH!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
95civiccx said:
correction: the tach does work it just goes up to 4500 and then i hit redline, i know my redline isn't 4500, maybe something in my car is messed up, not the cluster??
DAMN, maybe there is a domestic engine under the hood :lol: those clusters are plug-n-play (interchangable), and unless your a total ass, (which i have to assume that your not) you couldnt screw that up-----try swapping them back and seeing if it still does it-- may have another prob that came up as a coincidence....when you say you hit redline, do you mean the engine hits the rev limiter, or that is redlined on the tach? MORE INFO?...

95civiccx

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
t3t4h22 said:
DAMN, maybe there is a domestic engine under the hood :lol: those clusters are plug-n-play (interchangable), and unless your a total ass, (which i have to assume that your not) you couldnt screw that up-----try swapping them back and seeing if it still does it-- may have another prob that came up as a coincidence....when you say you hit redline, do you mean the engine hits the rev limiter, or that is redlined on the tach? MORE INFO?...

well i would hit the rev limiter if i was an idiot and didn't know when to shift, so basically when the tach says 4500 my engine is going around 6500, what would changing back to the old cluster do if my old cluster doesnt even have a tach????

i emailed the guy i bought it from on ebay, i guess well see what he has to say, maybe if it shorted out we could get ups to insure it cause it was damaged in shipping??? who knows...

$lick Rick

TEOTWAWKI
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
95civiccx said:
so basically when the tach says 4500 my engine is going around 6500
and what makes you think you're at 6500rpm?
you've never had a tach in there, you have no clue what rpm you've been driving or shifting at.

as for the cruise light.... no f**king clue on that one

t3t4h22

BUY MY HATCH!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
95civiccx said:
when the tach says 4500 my engine is going around 6500
:shock: SELF PROCLAIMED TACHOMETER :crazy:

while you're on EBAY, search for an autometer tach or something, and if your old cluster is ok, put it back in

and while youre at it, calm down, our suggestions are for your help....no nead to get a 'tude :roll:

95civiccx

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i know my redline is 6500, i know that redling of my car is 33mph, when im going 33mph in first gear my tach says 4500, which is obviously wrong and i wanna know why

t3t4h22

BUY MY HATCH!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
95civiccx said:
i know my redline is 6500, i know that redling of my car is 33mph, when im going 33mph in first gear my tach says 4500, which is obviously wrong and i wanna know why
maybe the speedo is off some....

i know the speedo is slightly off in my SI cluster in my CX.... :what:

5thGenCX

long gearing owns me.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
my CX redlines between 5000 and 5800 depending on a number of things, cold or hot, engine load, etc. but it does redline in 1st at 34ish, maybe your crank sensor is off..

95civiccx

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
5thGenCX said:
my CX redlines between 5000 and 5800 depending on a number of things, cold or hot, engine load, etc. but it does redline in 1st at 34ish, maybe your crank sensor is off..

yeah that would make alot of sense but everywhere i check it says redline is 6500

92-95 Civic CX
D15B8 1493cc
4 cyl, 8 valve SOHC
9.1:1 c.r.
PGM-FI (MPFI)
70 bhp @ 4500
83 lb-ft @ 3000
Redline: 6500 rpm

http://www.summitracing.com/landing/sportcompact/ln_02feature.htm?ID={C26F7A1C-20D7-44B5-90FA-3A693312A715}&Type=7

Kjeldor

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ok, first it says a cx redlines to 6500 but that is not true, i bought a cluster for my cx and it didnt redline near 6500, just for the fact that its a cx (my guess), next ur cx is an economy car so on ur old cluster u had the lilttle arrow pointing up and lit up everytime it was time to shift, it does this in order to get more miles per gallon. since the new cluster doesnt have the arrow, ur cruise light lights up every time its time to shift. and if u keep tryin to get ur cx to rev at 6500 i dont thinks its ever going to.