new engine

01beauty

5+ Year Member
im pretty sure i blew the engine in my 01' ex, so now im looking to replace the engine but i dont really want to put that little 1.7 back in it. what could i replace it with that would be relatively easy to put in? thanks :?:

dp_yz713

im slow
5+ Year Member
01beauty said:
im pretty sure i blew the engine in my 01' ex, so now im looking to replace the engine but i dont really want to put that little 1.7 back in it. what could i replace it with that would be relatively easy to put in? thanks :?:
how much you looking to spend, how much power you wanna gain, give us a lil more info to better help you. there are the k20a, k20a2, k20a3 and no it wont be easy

http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=60512

04civic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
get the k20a2 motor. with that you also need to switch to 6 speed trans. swap.

krayziejcs

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
if i had a choice i would go for the k24 block with k20a2 head, nice amounts of torque with that setup

dp_yz713

im slow
5+ Year Member
04civic said:
get the k20a2 motor. with that you also need to switch to 6 speed trans. swap.
yah but that swap is pretty pricy......any where from 5g to 8g depending on if you use used or new parts. the k20a3 swap you can do for under or around 2 grand. then with the money you saved off the a2 you can boost the a3. well thats if you wanna go boost eventually, then get the a3, but if you go all motor get the a2

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
There won't be an easy swap into your car. It's all going to take a LOT of work and a LOT of money to do....

BUT, if you're willing to do it, I'm willing to help you figure out which one would be best for you. Do you plan to turbo in the future.. or are you gonna be going NA..?

got_sake?

1.7 ltrs of fury!!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
01beauty said:
just curious how did manage to blow you morto?? what do you think the problem is? is it currently running? With an 01 you can legally swap in an H22, but I don't know the logistics of doing an H22 swap....but that could end up costing just as much as a K swap. Your best bet is to have you D17 rebuilt, maybe put some better internals in it. there again internals for our motors are not cheap either, but could be cheaper than a full on swap and give you some more power. Maybe beef up your valve train with the crower cam and some higher comp pistons. well that's my :twocents:

Mangan

5+ Year Member
f**k the Kseries motors. They suck, and cost too much to put in a 7th gen. Since your car is a 2001 legally you can swap in a B18B or C, one is an integra type r and the other is a GSR. These engines "can" be built stronger than the kseries plus it wont nearly be as much, probably half the cost of a kseries. Just something to think about.

King Bob

The life'o Riley
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
joe7987 said:
Do you plan to turbo in the future.. or are you gonna be going NA..?

once you answer this question then we will be able to answer your question. THeres lots of options for all sorts of price ranges and power goals. Let us know whats your budget and goal.

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mangan said:
f**k the Kseries motors. They suck, and cost too much to put in a 7th gen. Since your car is a 2001 legally you can swap in a B18B or C, one is an integra type r and the other is a GSR. These engines "can" be built stronger than the kseries plus it wont nearly be as much, probably half the cost of a kseries. Just something to think about.
Except for the fact that the B series doesnt swap into the 7th gen.

K series > B series... I don't know how you can say that K series sucks.

And I'm kind of skeptical on that comment about B series motors being able to be built stronger. I won't refute it though because I have no evidence.

ryanM

Mangan said:
umm, just to clarify, b18b is not a gsr or type R, its an LS, b18c1 is gsr, b18c5 is type R

unless its jdm spec: B18C is gsr and b18c spec R is type R

T!mmy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
LongGrain said:
umm, just to clarify, b18b is not a gsr or type R, its an LS, b18c1 is gsr, b18c5 is type R

unless its jdm spec: B18C is gsr and b18c spec R is type R
bam!......

Mangan

5+ Year Member
Joe, not that im trying to sound cocky, but i have heard from mechanics in my town that a fully bulit b series can and more than likely will out perform a built k series. The k series do have 200hp stok (rsx-s) but i guess that acura has put enough performance parts in their motors to make it reach this stock power, that building them compltley may not give you as much power as a fully buiklt b. And yes i know the honda si is a k series also. Just somethings ive heard. Once again i dont have proof, but it kinda make sence i guess. And i would imagine that the b series woudl be cheaper to buikd than the k's........just some thoughts.

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mangan said:
Joe, not that im trying to sound cocky, but i have heard from mechanics in my town that a fully bulit b series can and more than likely will out perform a built k series. The k series do have 200hp stok (rsx-s) but i guess that acura has put enough performance parts in their motors to make it reach this stock power, that building them compltley may not give you as much power as a fully buiklt b. And yes i know the honda si is a k series also. Just somethings ive heard. Once again i dont have proof, but it kinda make sence i guess. And i would imagine that the b series woudl be cheaper to buikd than the k's........just some thoughts.
A b would be much cheaper to build.... if we drove an earlier generation. It'd probably be just as expensive to put a b in our cars as it would be a K.

And from all of the research I've done and people I've talked to, K series motors seem to gain more with aftermarket parts than Bs do.

and no, you don't sound cocky at all. You're explaining what you know/ have heard.. just as I am doing. 8)

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
lol, not quite sure what to say in response to you guys... except

:lol:

Handlebars

None Taken.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mangan said:

you heard wrong. there is NO question that the k series is an absolutely superior motor in every aspect to the b, d,f, or h series. your argument has NO validity- if you do not know FOR A FACT, please DO NOT answer a question. you "heard" from some unqualified 3rd party source is not proof. despite only a few years of development, k series, both boosted and n/a have already proven to be vastly superior both n/a and boosted than b series. as of right now the k's are more expensive, however, that will change in the not too distant future. honda is making several hundred thousand k series a year (they are in civic si's, rsx, tsx, elements, accords, crv's), where as no b series have been made for over 5 years now. as more and more of those cars get crashed, more and more k's will be available.

B16A2_CIVIC

Think. Feel. Drvie.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
well imo K motor > B motor....

a K motor responds better to bolt ons way better than a B motor can....

my imo go with a K.....

potatobiker8

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
handlebarsfsr said:
you heard wrong. there is NO question that the k series is an absolutely superior motor in every aspect to the b, d,f, or h series. your argument has NO validity- if you do not know FOR A FACT, please DO NOT answer a question. you "heard" from some unqualified 3rd party source is not proof. despite only a few years of development, k series, both boosted and n/a have already proven to be vastly superior both n/a and boosted than b series. as of right now the k's are more expensive, however, that will change in the not too distant future. honda is making several hundred thousand k series a year (they are in civic si's, rsx, tsx, elements, accords, crv's), where as no b series have been made for over 5 years now. as more and more of those cars get crashed, more and more k's will be available.
werd