New guy

d16y8skunk2

hi guys im new to the civic world and got a couple ? on engine series . how good is a d16 y8 and is it worth me spending money on b4 i drop 2stacks on skunk 2 upgrades

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Nope

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
d16y8 is a good motor, its basically bullet proof with normal maint. Are you gonna have a racecar? no, sohc motors dont produce alot of power with just bolt ons, they need boost or bottle to make power and getting that hp is gonna take $$$$$$

also there alot better products out there other than junk 2, thats just my 2 cents, its overpriced for what you get imo.

086head

Registered VIP
^ not just no but hell no. Go b or k swap or at least z6 if your going sohc.

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
a y8 is a good motor , its vtec, makes decent power, and easy to mess with -shrug i liked mine, but i did like my z6 alot better ;) seemed to be a little more peppy

d16y8skunk2

lol ok i was looking at a jdm k series but saw that u had to add certain parts cuz in japan they dont use certain things and i didnt want to order a engine and not b able to put it in

d16y8skunk2

well i was going with skunk cuz i dont wanna put cheap parts on and i dont know wats a good import quality parts brand

CO671

Registered VIP
Skunk2 upgrades? Don't. Do a lot more research, you'll figure out how to make much more power on less $$$$$
If you have the time and patience, build together a turbo kit and turbo your d16, build a block too then get it tuned or tune yourself. You can make up to 200~300+hp for around ~$2000
If not, then just do a motor swap, maybe the typical B, or an H22 swap and it's already at near 200hp.

If you're not going to turbo your D16, then don't waste money on performance upgrades.

d16y8skunk2

i was going all out with turbo,suspension,clutch,exhaust,injectors,v tech controler, the whole nine and was going to start with puting 2000 in it. i ended up puting a stage3 clutch cuz it went out and a lip kit and new halo led headlights and a set of si rims but wanted to know if it was worth it to lay down thousands on that engine cuz like i said its my first civic and it was nottin but love after that i only dealt with toyotas i had a 86 twin cam and a 81 1.8 but im in love with civics now lol

CO671

Registered VIP
Hmm, well you don't have to be throwing money everywhere. Honda's aftermarket support is so large, and there are many cheap products, and unnecessary expensive products too. Be careful.

Suspension - Koni/GC
Exhaust - Apexi WS2 or custom
vtec* vtec* vtec* V-tech is a childs toy!
Lip kit? if you have a 96-98 civic then look for a CTR style lip, if you have a 99-00 look for mugen replica or OEM/SI replica.

EJackBauer8

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Hey I like my Y8 its just not good for performance, if you're looking for performance swap it. If you still think that you need more horses Turbo that engine, because you'll have more HP to begin with.

Sent from my Galaxy S-Triple

d16y8skunk2

thanks for the info im gona go with a swap so that im not disapointed later another things wats up with the damn power windows on these civics ether they dont work or jump all over the place on its way up

Kali Hissle

SICKSPEED
Registered VIP
It dependsin my view some want to go 1000HP and race like its a daily job there for they go k or whatever but d &b are good you can build & turbo both and get power just depends on how fast you wanna go.you wanna travel back in time go k,,you wanna go fun fast 0-80 in a couple seconds d or b will do it built & turbo.im builing my d and turboing it I wanna go faster but im not tryna out do lambos and all that I can take all these American cars damn near stock what more do I need than 350HP,just some examples but,good luck everyone has their own likes.

d16y8skunk2

i c wat u mean i want to build somthing that can take out a turbo busted type r acura and a sti or wrx at the races

Nwashburn79@yah

I have a d16y8 in my 96 ex coupe.it's pretty quick. Not as fast as the b18 in my old integra. But I'm content with daily driving, im not trying to race my baby now. I want her to last a while. I was thinking about swapping but decided to just add some bolt ons for sound and look.... So far I've added, hid,aem intake, weighted shift knob, custom cat back exhaust,...next ill switch the tail lights out to the red and white si style, maybe a front end clip.

d16y8skunk2

yea i have decided not to add any more mods to this civic im buying another one instead dont know if ima go with a si or integra or a honda wagon or toyo wagon to mod for racing and keep the 97 civic coupe for daily driver. yea i already have put in cf 4 inch intake w/ mani. stage 3 clutch and a header but since i use it daily i would rather buy another one that way i wont have to worry about ppl keep stealing my car or my parts

d16y8skunk2

im leaning towards a 94 honda wagon i havnt seen one at the races yet well not one that can race anyways and win any one got any good i deas on wat kind would b best? im trying to get somthing thats not seen racing