New Here and i have a question

chelseybolt

5+ Year Member
Sup everyone just had a quick question should i trade my in my civic or keep it and work on (also i want a manual, hate driving AT i get enough of this in our Ridgeline (wife's ride), but i got bought this car from my parents)

Here is what i have

1998 Honda Civic EX / VSM / AT / 174,000 Miles (paid off ) (only one previous owner)

I was looking to trade it in for this

2000 Honda Civic SI / Black / MT (duh!)/ 51,714 Miles (dealer asking 9,900) (Car-fax Certified One owner same state, no accidents, no engine or exterior modifications)

what you you guys think?

r_becca92

5+ Year Member
love the ridgelines
depends on how much money you want to spend, or how much longer you want an AT, unless you swap.
Id keep it and work on it. swap it, mod it.

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
depending on the price and what you want to do to it, it might be cheaper to buy a cheap manual shell (ex/dx/hx) and swap motors

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
9900 is expensive for a 99.. even with its low miles.

SIcivic4life

5+ Year Member
thats very expensive....keep the current car and just mod that one....easier that way!!! trust me

Bro'sslowdx

It's mine now...
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Si is cooler, but that one is expensive. I would just swap it and make a project out of it instead of just buying an expensive car. Youll learn more and have alot more fun.

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
goto KBB.com and enter in the used car info and that will determine the ACTUAL Blue Book Value of the car.

Thats what i pulled up:

More Photos

Condition Value

Excellent
$8,060

Good
$7,510

Fair
$6,860

I would offer $8000 out the DOOR! tax, tag, blah blah included

chelseybolt

5+ Year Member
alright here is what the dealership said they will give me $2000 for my civic because i do have a dent on the driver side door and also had to replace the mirror.

they want $9990 and the only other fee, since this state has no other taxes will be a $197 for processing fee
im thinking of asking them to lower it to $9000 and buy the SI.

No, .. Yes..., still keep my EX and do a auto-manual swap pay money to get the door dent out and have it painted to the color i want? or get the vehicle i was pay the money and start saving for a turbo and wheels? by the way one owner for the SI and it was a old couple... so nothing done to the engine or anything

thank in advance for all those that have replied and helped

98 EK Hatch

Big Daddy Dumplin
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
hold up.... they said they would give you $2000!!!!! You could definitely sell that civic for more on craigslist or something, and then go to the dealer with cash down payment and tell them $8000 thats including the processing fee.

if they say no then take your money somewhere else, im sure you can find a Si on craigslist for around $6500, if not then wait and find another Si, for cheaper

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
well, considering yours has so many miles.. i still wouldnt pay more than 8k for the car.. they bought it for 4500 or less if it was from an auction.. trust me, these people arent selling cars around holiday season.. im sure if you tell them 2000 for your ride, and u buy the car at 8000 and have a balance of 6K they will think about it , and then they will take it..

Anyone who does their homework will end up doing the same thing... Why are they charging 1000 over what the car is worth.. if they get 8K for it, then they still will make a decent profit.

Play hardball and let them wait it out. Also it requires alot of patience on your end.

With your ride being that old and that much milage, bushings, bearing, and alot more will need replacing.. so you can either replace those with the $$ u were going to use with the car payments every month, or just have a car payment and if something goes wrong with the Si, you have to fix that on top of your payment.. not tomention insurance will be higher.

hope i helped

chelseybolt

5+ Year Member
well, considering yours has so many miles.. i still wouldnt pay more than 8k for the car.. they bought it for 4500 or less if it was from an auction.. trust me, these people arent selling cars around holiday season.. im sure if you tell them 2000 for your ride, and u buy the car at 8000 and have a balance of 6K they will think about it , and then they will take it..

Anyone who does their homework will end up doing the same thing... Why are they charging 1000 over what the car is worth.. if they get 8K for it, then they still will make a decent profit.

Play hardball and let them wait it out. Also it requires alot of patience on your end.

With your ride being that old and that much milage, bushings, bearing, and alot more will need replacing.. so you can either replace those with the $$ u were going to use with the car payments every month, or just have a car payment and if something goes wrong with the Si, you have to fix that on top of your payment.. not tomention insurance will be higher.

hope i helped
pm'd

Docta2002

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Another question, why do you want an Si? You mentioned turbo somewhere along the thread, so are you looking to boost in the future? Boosting while still having car payments is gonna suck. I'd say keep your car and fix it how YOU want it. Put the motor you want, the tranny you want, do your own work and learn something useful in the process, paint the color you want, you'll appreciate ur ride alot more than something right outta the box.

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Another question, why do you want an Si? You mentioned turbo somewhere along the thread, so are you looking to boost in the future? Boosting while still having car payments is gonna suck. I'd say keep your car and fix it how YOU want it. Put the motor you want, the tranny you want, do your own work and learn something useful in the process, paint the color you want, you'll appreciate ur ride alot more than something right outta the box.
:word:

And if you REALLY want an Si, cut the dealer out of the process. Sell private party, buy private party. It'll cost you a lot less that way.