New here and new to Hondas

Otto85

Thank you for the add. I recently bought my first civic she's a 96 I believe ex she's rockin the d16y8 she was hacked up by a previous owner so I've been in the process of correcting the wire hacks. Thanks to the knowledge imbedded in this forum I've been able to fix some very aggravating issues so thank u all for that lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
edited in pics cuz this is a show off thread after all

Last edited:

ImportFan1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
:welcome: to CC

Cj00civic

From oregon? What part?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Otto85

Hell ya. I haven't been on the coast side for a minute

Otto85

I gotta get out for a nice cruise it's been to long

Otto85

Stereo power locks power windows every wire under the dash spliced into cut wires under the hood basically she could use a whole new wire harness but I don't have the funds at the moment I've been worrying more on the safety and drivability

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Stereo power locks power windows every wire under the dash spliced into cut wires under the hood
I don't understand, what's the reasoning that someone would need to mess with all that?

Otto85

Who ever had my civic before me was a idiot for example they adjusted the valve lash to zero gap luckily no damage was done to the engine

Locruid

Hello Fellow Oregonians!!! Car looks really clean. Cant wait to see where you go from here.

Currently typing from a hole in the wall called Monroe. In between Corvallis and Eugene for those who dont travel much :P. I head to Medford 2-3x a year to visit the mother-in-law.

Otto85

Going to use this thread to help track what all I've done so far lol.
Installed new battery fabed up a battery hold down for the time being cuz I can't find anything in my area,
New starter,
New alternator,
New cooling fan,
New thermostat,
New thermostat sensor,
New transmission speed sensor,
Rewired the reverse lights,
Installed new stereo,
Tore apart and rebuilt the moonroof,
Rewired both power windows,
Sorted out a whole heap of wire issues,
Rewired a dual horn system,
Did a alignment job,
Cleaned the iacv,
Installed a intake bracket
Valve lash adjustment,
New gaskets on the top end,
Converted the power steering to manual,
Striped the paint off my wheels and currently working on polishing them back up.
I know there's a s**t ton more that I've done to her but don't remember as of now

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I give you credit for being willing to tackle a wiring nightmare. I assume you got the EX at a good deal.
I don't understand, what's the reasoning that someone would need to mess with all that?
It sounds to me like it may have been a failed engine swap idea.
Who ever had my civic before me was a idiot for example they adjusted the valve lash to zero gap luckily no damage was done to the engine
How did that run with zero valve gap? Just the thought of it worries me.
Going to use this thread to help track what all I've done so far lol.
With that being said, let me know if you'd like to improve the title, such as to "New to Hondas: '96 EX".

Otto85

I give you credit for being willing to tackle a wiring nightmare. I assume you got the EX at a good deal.

I sounds to me like it may have been a failed engine swap idea.

How did that run with zero valve gap? Just the thought of it worries me.

With that being said, let me know if you'd like to improve the title, such as to "New to Hondas: '96 EX".
No one of the precious owners just hacked into the dash harness to try to get a lot of stuff working bypasses a lot of essential stuff in the process.
It ran like crap and sounded even worse so my next step is to either have the head rebuilt or replaced cuz I have no clue how long it was ran like that, I've gotten everything there adjusted accordingly but don't want to risk anything down the road

Otto85

Since my last update I replaced the cap and rotor, the iacv that was in her started to crap out so slapped a fresh one and a new maps in her cleaned the engine bay up a tad painted the valve cover intake tube and my ghetto battery hold down. Was definetly nice being able to do some cosmetic work on her for a change