New here, maby stupid question: How do i know 100% that my Honda has Vtec?

Arnarl

I resently bought a 1500 "Vtec?" civic 99' The guy said that it was Vtec but it's either not working or not there, how can i find out? and no i do not know the motor type....

soon2bsick

Registered VIP
hey there welcome, it's not a stupid question my friend we're all starting somewhere!

first off

what do you mean by 1500?

how do you know the vtec is not working?

is it a DX, LX, Or EX (or does it have sunroof?)

1991civicb16

I resently bought a 1500 "Vtec?" civic 99' The guy said that it was Vtec but it's either not working or not there, how can i find out? and no i do not know the motor type....
Does the engnie say VTEC? year, make, model?

Arnarl

1.5 or 1500cc. year 1999. there is a sunroof, There is a Vtec sticker on the side?? i know it's not working because there is now kick at 4000-4500 RPM and the engine sound doesn't change theres no BWAAAAAA hehe. Thank you for quick answears :D

bones420

5+ Year Member
Look on the front left side of the block or possibly the head for the casting number
then post what you find, or you could just post a picture of the bay.

oddeb707

R.I.P Stephen Jackson
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Or you could just look to the top left of the valve cover for the vtec solenoid. It will have a green plug going into it, its the oil pressure switch.

oddeb707

R.I.P Stephen Jackson
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Post a pic of your engine from straight above.

soon2bsick

Registered VIP
1.5 or 1500cc. year 1999. there is a sunroof, There is a Vtec sticker on the side?? i know it's not working because there is now kick at 4000-4500 RPM and the engine sound doesn't change theres no BWAAAAAA hehe. Thank you for quick answears :D
you're not going to feel a "kick" lol, and I'm not positive about your year but my vtec doesn't come on until 5,500 rpms

hit 5500 and listen for a difference,

post pic of your engine bay as stated, it will make this easier.

Arnarl

Can you make a ring around it or something? hehe, could the solenoid be broken? is it hard to change?

Rocky91890

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
There really isnt a huge difference hitting vtec...hit over 5.5k rpms thats where vtec starts. if you dont have any cel's dont worry about it.

jordan00711

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
It appears to be a d16y8 so yes you have vtec. So im guessing you have a 99' Ex