new motor break in periods?

bbgyoungd

5+ Year Member
whats up everyone, so i just bought a new fully built d15b7 which is the same motor i have in now (which by the way i drive a 94 civic DX ) my original motor blew up on me... but cuz the new motor i bought is a brand new fresh motor, i was wonderin how do i break in the motor... properly? what do i need to do to break it in? alot of ppl are tellin me different things so i dont know what to believe lol thanks, DJ

Steven.

Formally Green 91
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
belive its 500 miles, there are differnt ways to do it.

somejaykid

i'm a mod now
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
don't redline the car past 5000 rpm
don't drop the clutch
take it easy taking off the line
don't race everybody on the road

31dev31

Chillin' Canadian Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Take it easy, use non-synthetic oil for the first 1000 miles, change oil first time at 500, then again at 1000. And you should be good to go.

nicoyita1

I eat rice. And beans.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
at least change the oil filter after the first 50 miles and ONLY use oem honda oil filters.

31dev31

Chillin' Canadian Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Don't forget magnetic oil drain plug too. Good for picking out the metal shavings in the oil than to be pumped back through the engine.

Aamir_bt

5+ Year Member
i have found this link to be very insightful:

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

possibly a repost from somwhere here on the forum but still a good read nonetheless. i have broken in a few engines using that method and it really works great. the latest engine i broke in is the isuzu engine in my geo storm, it now gets close to 40 mpg and runs amazing.

obracer12

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
50 miles then change oil and filter, and then again after 500 miles, also if theres a new clutch and flywheel baby it for the first 500 miles to break that in as well.. I do agree with teh non-synthetic for teh first change, then synthetic for teh rest of its llife. baby it until the break in peiods past to make sure everything sets properly and evenly ware's where it's going to. then have fun after all that

Anth EK Civic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
do a 50-100 mile oil change including filter
then a 500 mile oil change including filter
after that you can go up to 2,500-3,500 oil change then after that you should bve soild