New - ping question

ktnj

5+ Year Member
Hey all, new on the forum.

Questions: my 98 civic just started doing this ping thing when it's cold. It's a high pitched sound, could be lifters or something else-- No idea. But it is accompanied by some lack in power. But after it heats up, it runs like a champ...., full power available, with no unusual noises at all.

Any ideas? Thanks!

B18cbubble

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
where is the sound coming from? does sound like inside the motor or just around the car in general? It might be cold metal for the exhaust and it ticks when warm air rushes through it until the exhaust warms up...just the same when exhaust is cooling.

ktnj

5+ Year Member
where is the sound coming from? does sound like inside the motor or just around the car in general?
Thanks for the reply. Iti s definitely coming from inside the motor, and it changes speed along with RPMs.

cheezeonmakneez

love unicorns
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Whens the last time you changed or checked your oil and what weight did you use?

ktnj

5+ Year Member
I use 5W30. Just changed it recently, and it did not make a difference (same weight before & after though...)

ktnj

5+ Year Member
I checked the belts, they are in good shape and seem properly tensioned.

Sigh...

cheezeonmakneez

love unicorns
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If it only does it when the motor is cold, I would say that the top end may not be getting enough oil.