New Project, 1991 Si

bigskyeric

After a vote of 7-2 in favor of purchasing this 91 Si, I am going to share my experience with this project. The car looks good from a far, but it is far from good. The car is much quicker then I expected. The paint job has horrible orange peel, but looks very thick, so I have room for wet sanding/buffing. I have to replace some bushings. Do some repairs to the exhaust/ front suspension. I get to play with my first mechanical cable clutch. The car has a salvage title, and I have already pinpointed the damaged area. It was $1000, and will be a learning experience. Thanks for any help given in the future.
[/IMG] That's my 1997 Ford with 166,000 miles.

civic0918

Registered VIP
looks like it could be a fun build. Might as well change everything while you at it and not just some bushings and front suspension. Because later you have to do the rest anyway. i know from experience lol.

Aaron.

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
looks good man

bigskyeric

clutch cable

So, I've been searching (no luck) for info on adjusting the clutch cable. My clutch engages/disengages at the very end (top), and the pedal is about 1 inch higher (closer to the driver) then the brake pedal. I'd like to move the pedal so it lines up with the brake pedal, and I'd like to adjust the cable so the clutch engages/disengages about half way through the pedal movement. Guessing I'm not the first person to have this issue. I found the cable and the bolt on the end of it near the tranny, Which way should I turn it?? Thanks for any info! Cheers.

bigskyeric

Never Mind, I found the link. But any personal info will still be appreciated. The search tool bar is pretty useless on this site. Found it under 'how to's'

bigskyeric

The good news, The Timing Belt looks new. Plugs are in good shape, There is a thick layer of clear coat on the paint, so I can wet sand the Horrible orange peel off. I did a few small area's tonight, and got the paint flattened out fairly easily. I have about 2 days of sanding, and another day buffing. I adjusted the clutch cable by just playing with it. I used my knowledge of adjusting cables on Bicycles over the years. I also got the pedal lined up with the Brake pedal via the adjustment screw. The hood didn't pop on it's own, so I adjusted the main post/spring that latches the hood. Now it opens fine.
The BAD news is two of the plug holes were filled with oil, So new gaskets are needed. The passenger side upper ball joint is bad, the wobble wasn't from bushings. (maybe that's a good thing??) If you look at the uploaded pics, You can see the cracks in the bondo/paint. ( and I have no idea what color this black paint is, but have the kid tracking down the info, fingers crossed) You can see how ridiculous the exhaust is. The Cat's insides are rattling around, and there is a cork in the place of the cat-oxygen sensor hole. The pipe running off the cat just ends, and the stock 2 1/2 is just sitting loose up inside of it. (explains the horrible exhaust fumes in the car, see pic above) You can see the orange peel in the photo of the passenger side of the car. My suspicion of cut springs is reality, so I have to find some stock spring in the junkyard or something.

bigskyeric

After work today, I started sanding down the orange peel on the paint. I never once broke through the clearcoat, it's THICK!! (WOOHOO!!) I finished the hood, and upper (above the moldings) parts of the fenders/doors/rear 1/4 panels. I started off with waterproof 1500 grit sand paper on a 10 inch long rubber sanding tool. I soaked the paper in water for an hour (so it lasts longer) and used a hose to continually spray off the area I was working on. (when you hear a tiny rock buzzing with each stroke, or to reapply water as needed) After sanding it all down flat, (you can see in the pics what a high spot looks like) I then buffed with my multi speed Makita Rotary Buffer. (bought mine used for $100) I first used a Meguire's dense pad (marroon) with Meguires Cutting compound #84. Followed by a Meguires glazing pad (offwhite) and Meguires Speed Glaze #80. then coated the buffed areas with a nice thick layer of Sealant. (offbrand I bought online)

Last edited:

bigskyeric

to see the difference in the paint, look at the pic above of the white Toyota truck reflection, then look at the cars reflecting in the photo after I sanded/buffed. HUGE difference

bigskyeric

spent a few hours cleaning the interior today. Used Purple Power and my 2100 PSI pressure washer and my 6hp wet/dry shopvac to get the carpets clean (and a brush with a heavy dose of elbo grease). Armouralled everything. Came out really nice. I doused the inside with Renuzit air freshner to kill the 20 years of smell. I'll know tomorrow if it worked.

bigskyeric

Today I replaced all the gaskets on the valve cover, spark plug holes,and cover nuts. ($27, 10 minutes to change them out, so if you have a leaking valve cover....FIX IT! Anyone with moderate mechanical skills can do it. SUPER easy) The head is fairly clean considering the miles and age. Then I went over the entire car again with a wool pad, as my previous buffing faded a bit. Then went through the steps of buffing sealing again. Hopefully it won't fade this time. I picked up some used shocks/springs from the junkyard over the weekend ($50) I power washed them and painted them with black rustoleum textured paint, and a clear coat. (look brand spankin new) I licensed the car on Friday, now I just have to wait for my new upper control arms/ball joints and I can put the front suspension back in order. So far, including the gas to go pick it up, title, shocks/control arms, buffing supplies, etc...I have $1282 into this car. I am pretty STOKED!!!! Question, I have a tear in my bolster on the drivers seat. Does anyone know where to get matching fabric, so I can sew in a new piece of fabric?? I'm pretty sure all the 91 Si cars have the same seats. Thanks!!

Last edited:

Robin...

D-Series Soldier
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Good progress man, keep it up...:thumbs up

bigskyeric

Looking good.

Lol. I think we have the same rims.
I'm not diggin the black rims. The previous owner painted them. I'm going to find bronze wheel paint, then put a dark tinted wheel clear coat over the bronze. Duplicolor makes a product to tint chrome wheels. Should work on Bronze too. Next I have to get the exhaust worked on, that'll bring me up to about $1300-ish. I also noticed one of the bolts on the transmission mount is missing. So I have to order that. I'm guessing the motor has been pulled at some point, or maybe this is a new motor?? The title says the car was rebuilt, but I can't find any major damage. My guess is the car had a Swap and was stolen/stripped. Either way, the car is quicker then any other Si I've driven. I'm lovin it so far. Post a pic of yours so I can compare.......

bigskyeric

Installed a shortram intake (offbrand) that came with the car. Old owner said he took it off because he couldn't get the vacuum line connected. (it didn't match up with the line running off the valve cover) I simple cut about 1 1/2 inches off the radiator reservoir line (there was exactly that much to spare) and used it to connect the intake to the valve cover. Haha. I McGrubered it. The Pipe was chrome but all worn, so I painted it Milano Red (paint I had left over from my Prelude) then clear coated it. Now it will be the only thing red on the car besides the New Si badge I ordered a few days ago. Should compliment the overall look. Will Post pics when I get the badge on. (the Badge was $20...ouch)

Last edited: