New Radiator, just started over heating?!? HELP!

EGWMD

So I have a spankin new radiator, (80 bucks at AutoZone) I took the old one off put this one on, easy peezy also bought some anti-freeze and filled her up. Car ran astounding for the longest time, however, last night I was driving home from eh about 2 miles out, and noticed I hit the red line on heat.

The weird part being, i'd come to a stop and she'd drop way down in heat ( 2-3 times went to about halfway)
but the second gas started going through she started gettin REALLY hot.
When I parked her I let her cool down for a bit and popped the radiator cap off and did a quick inspection, no cracks (that I saw so we're good there) but it looked like there wasn't anything in the radiator
(I'm use to seeing it near full so I think I may have lost some or maybe it hit my reserve tank? idk kind of new to the scene to be honest.)

I asked my brother who's a BIT more technical than me and he speculates it could be my thermostat, although I still have the worry about it seeming like it's out of fluid because this was maybe a month ago that it was all installed, like early December.

Any help appreciated! Thanks!

wazup_74

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Chances are you didn't fill it properly. When adding coolant after removing the old coolant there is a process to follow to make sure you don't have air in the system. What car do you have?

EGWMD

I own a 93 EX Coupe, umm, maybe elaborate on how "correctly" to fill it, because I poured it in started it for a second, poured more in, wash rinse repeat.
My brother was the one who helped me out I've been daily driving it since it was installed this is the first time it has run warm.

Like I said I'm concerned because when I opened the radiator it looked like it was "dry"

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
the heater should be turned to full on. fill the radiator and reservoir. crank the motor, let it warm up until fan kicks on a couple times. continue to fill reservoir as it is depleted. feel upper and lower hoses to verify they are both getting warm after a period of time. keep an eye on engine temp gauge to avoid overheating if there is an air bubble or bad tstat

EGWMD

Alright, thank you! Would that be why it appears "dry?" That will cycle the air bubble out if there is one, i assume, if it IS a bad STAT for sure how would I be able to tell? Noob questions, I know but ya got to start somewhere and engines not where I began.

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Yes, that procedure will bleed the cooling system of air bubbles. The only way for sure to tell if the t-stat is bad is to take it out and apply heat to it, like in a pot of hot water. If it doesn't open up, its donezo

EGWMD

Yes, that procedure will bleed the cooling system of air bubbles. The only way for sure to tell if the t-stat is bad is to take it out and apply heat to it, like in a pot of hot water. If it doesn't open up, its donezo
I was afraid of that, I mean, it's not THAT hard, but man I'm lazy! lol Well sweet stuff! I'll find my anti freeze (if i have any) and get that going.

EGWMD

oh also "full on" i assume means hottest AND blowing as hard as possible? some people have different definitions!

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
the fan doesnt have to be blowing full blast, but the heat needs to be full. bleeding the cooling system literally requires no tools. just diluted coolant and a set of hands

jordan101

to bleed the system all you do is jack the front of your car up in the front if you have ramps that's works great. wait till car gets to operating temp. Then slowly open the bleed valve which is located by the top radiator hose. I believe its a 12mm. Slowly open it coolant will come out. i usually let it run for 15 seconds or so. If you want to get a clear hose and hook it to the valve that works so you dont make a mess. After you close it let it run and see if anything changes. If it still over heats change the thermostat. make sure you bleed the system again. And if it still overheats after that you might of got a defective radiator or you blew the head gasket.

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
don't recall 5th gen civic having a bleed valve, but i could be wrong :what:

wazup_74

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Yeah i don't think the 5th gen had a bleed valve either unless its a b series. Once your sure there is no air in the system i'd start looking at other things. Tstat will be a good place to look. and it could be possible you have a leak that you cant see.
I had a tiny hole in a hose that took me forever to find. hopefully its not the case with you. let us know how it goes.

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
automatic or manual?

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
D15b7 w/ manual trans here and it has a bleed valve.

EGWMD

Well, I reluctantly ran the system dumping in WATER (in WA it's cold as balls but i had filled it with antifreeze before I feel safe.) it ran out some air, and I haven't had any problems as of yet, thanks for all the help!