New Springs

black97civic

black97civic
5+ Year Member
So I'm looking for some new springs because what I have now are some cheap APC coilovers I got on eBay for like $40. They work good for lowering the car but the ride quality sucks. What I'm looking for is like a 2 to 2 1/2 in drop with good ride quality. Any suggestions?

--<EM1>--

boosted ftw
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
h&r or ground control would be my 2 cents

hatchoo

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
depends on your budget too. but i'm with this guy ^^^

black97civic

black97civic
5+ Year Member
hatchoo said:
depends on your budget too. but i'm with this guy ^^^
Definitely on a budget. Maybe a couple hundred for some springs. I found some H&R for about 170 shipped on eBay. THey do seem to be what I'm looking for

black97civic

black97civic
5+ Year Member
Okay this is probably a n00b question but what do the spring rates mean. Are higher spring rates or lower spring rates better for ride quality? I've seen a lot about people talking about spring rates but I've never seen which is better for what?

King Bob

The life'o Riley
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
the spring rate is the amount of force needed to compress the spring, the higer the rate the stiffer the ride, ... there is no such thing as a noob question... only questions

black97civic

black97civic
5+ Year Member
So I found Skunk2 lowering springs for like $140 and was wondering about these. I did a couple searches but all I found was coilovers and not the lowering springs. Anybody have these or know anything about them? Again I'm looking for a smooth ride. Would it be worth the extra $40 to get the H&R?

hatchoo

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
i have h&r sports springs and i love it. are you gonna change your shocks too or are you just gonna stick with your stock shocks? coz if you go low with them you'll end up blowing your shocks. try looking at tein springs, i heard from this boards that they're really great

black97civic

black97civic
5+ Year Member
Well I ended up going with the Skunk2's and they're SOOOOO much better than my old pieces. The ride quality is a ton smoother, the only problem is that it dropped it another couple cm's and they compress easier so now I'm rubbin on the fender so I've been looking around for a fender roller to rent. Thank's for the input guys.