New swap runs but looses power on acceleration

MajEK

Cry Some More
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Car has spark on all 4, fuel is there, timing is dead on(ignition/crank). Car runs perfect with no codes but on acceleration looses power randomly. Most of the time when I press the throttle it reacts quick like normal but sometimes it will take a second to actually get power. And sometimes even pop.

On cold startup rpms jump from 1000-1500. I've cleaned out the IACV and tightened the FITV. I've tried to adjust the idle screw but the only thing that changes is the sound, the rpm gauge never moves. As far as the FITV, I might have a problem with my coolant flow. Coolant sensor works and a brand new thermostat but the car never overheats; lower tube doesnt get hot and the fan(working fan) never comes on.

I really dont have much experience diagnosing this kind of stuff and am at a loss on what the real problem is. I'll be replacing the water pump and o2 sensor soon.

*havent done a compression test (no guage)

jdmrascal

5+ Year Member
you should do a compression test to see if you pistons are working the way there suposed to.
you should check timing and vacuum.
make sure fuel is not clogged, and distributor spark plug wires are wired the way they are supposed to. (firing order 1,4,2,3)
make sure that your spark plugs are sparking when they are supposed to (before compression stroke)

henkz0r

Unobtanium Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
For clarification: firing order is 1 -> 3 -> 4 -> 2.

MajEK

Cry Some More
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you should do a compression test to see if you pistons are working the way there suposed to.
you should check timing and vacuum.
make sure fuel is not clogged, and distributor spark plug wires are wired the way they are supposed to. (firing order 1,4,2,3)
make sure that your spark plugs are sparking when they are supposed to (before compression stroke)
Yeah, I'll probably pick up a cheap gauge this weekend. Got to have one around anyway.
Are there any other ways to test for vacuum leaks besides plugging the FITV and spray brake cleaner? Injectors and fuel filter are new and firing order is right.

To be more specific on the acceleration problem... If I'm easy on the pedal and bring up the RPMs slow everythings fine. If I step on it a little harder like you would normally it hangs around 1000rpm for a second then reacts and if I mash it from a start it sputters and pops but not like a back fire pop.

AnthonyP

5+ Year Member
my new swap was doing that to. I rebuild my distributor and it was fine after. Id say new/rebuild distributor and make sure all your grounds are fine and that your plug wires are actually working.