New to the boost???? help

Em2TilDeath

ok here's my plan just need a couple opinions from people who actually will put fourth a good reply that will be helpful....
i have 93 eg/hb currently with d15b7 bout 60,xxxx miles on it
Im planning on swapping a complete d16z6 instead of the mini me.
once i have this im planning on going boost.
This will be a dd, im only gonna push 7psi max at first
im going to get ebay kit but throw out the turbo snail and maybe junkyard scavenge for another snail. Any suggestions on a snail.
Im getting bigger injectors 450cc sound good???
i have a mechanic to tune it and set me up with engine management? Hes trust worthy to me,
now im not to savvy on internals? But i should be fine until i want to go higher boost right?
any suggestions??? for when i decide just maybe a starting point to build and keep working at???
Thanks appreciate the replys

got traction

i rock the sohc
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
first, dont buy a ebay kit period. Not only are the turbos junk, but the manifold will crack along with the downpipe. Second, you said you have a mechanic to tune and set it up on engine management.....does this person tune cars? or are they a just a mechanic who is saying he knows how to do it?

Em2TilDeath

yes he works out of a shop here where i live but he also does stuff for close friends such as me he will do this at his house ive seen numerous cars he has worked on well over thirty cars hes worked on a couple of my friends too also... so when it comes to a kit what am i best of doing just piecing one together? or? go with a name brand kit?

Kensai

♪♫♪♫♪~
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
First thing you need to do is set some goals.

How much power do you want to make?
How much money do you have to spend?(If it's really limited don't bother trying to boost your car because it will just cost you more to repair it later)

Do not buy eBay junk, it WILL fail. Whether you piece your kit together or just buy a "full" kit, stick to reputable brands.

Once you have a power goal that you are satisfied with, that should give you a decent understanding on what parts you should be looking for.
For example if you say that you want to make around 250-300whp max. that will give you a good understanding on what size injectors/turbo/intercooler/wastegate you should be in the market for.
Remember; sole amount PSI is not really a good indicator of power output since 7 PSI coming out from a small turbo is a lot different than 7 PSI coming out of a GT40 turbocharger.

Tune is the most important thing, if your going to cheap out on ANYTHING, make sure it's not the tune.

Anyways I could sit here all day and try to summarize everything you need to know not to blow up your motor, but thankfully there's already a bunch of guides on turbos out there.
Here's one of them: http://www.beesandgoats.com/boostfaq/g2icturbo.html

Hopefully this helps!

emerican

Registered VIP
Figured out power goal and budget yet. Just curious what will this mechanic be tunning the car with?

Comeau03

ebay turbos are junk is right i had a friend that got one, the seals went bad left and right. I got a boosted z6 with the garret t3/t4 turbo setup. im pushin 10 psi at the moment, and from what i saw, definately get internals and for injectors you probly should go up too 750cc, theres about 10 grand sunk into my motor so it can handle the power.

emerican

Registered VIP
Depends on how much boost he wants to push as to how big the injectors should be.

Kensai

♪♫♪♫♪~
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Figured out power goal and budget yet. Just curious what will this mechanic be tunning the car with?
Chrome, NepTune, and Hondata seem to be the most popular choices for hondas.

emerican

Registered VIP
I wanted to know what his mechanic told him he was going to use I am decently familar with all those. Just didnt know if his mechanic had told him something else.

PandaEK9

there a tons of different tuning options it all depends on what you want.
i am running a greddy emanage and so far its working pretty well for me.