Newb Question about Turbo and A/C

browneye

you know a butthole!
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I've been trying to look at pictures of peoples rides w/ turbo but it's not very clear as to whether or not you can run turbo and keep your A/C installed? Like I said I've just recently been researching Turbo...

I'm kinda looking at the Greddy Kit ...any other suggestions?

Handlebars

None Taken.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
depends on the manifold. some will let you keep a/c, some wont.

Mr. Lin

Admiral Ackbar
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
my suggestion is to do your reading, look at various sites like www.turbod16.com and ask around. I'm assuming you have a d16y8 and are looking to turbo that.

piecing together a turbo is much more satisfying that buying a pre-made kit and more likely to land you better numbers, granted, you can get it tuned properly.

browneye

you know a butthole!
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I haven't counted out piecing one together myself, my only thing is aesthetics. I don't want it to look like a frankenstein turbo job. I would like to keep my engine bay clean like it is now without a bunch of shade tree mechanic welds everywhere.

I'm sure I'm wrong on this and that you can put together a turbo that will look just as good. Time to do some reading it looks like. Thanks for the tips.

Mr. Lin

Admiral Ackbar
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You shouldn't have any problem piecing together a kit and making it look good. I believe you understood me wrong. I wasn't saying go to a junkyard and do a www.homemadeturbo.com type job... I was just saying mix and match parts according to your wants/needs/budget.

racerx661

certified pervert
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
drag and revhard kits let you retain the a/c but arent smog legal like the greddy....but more hp out of the box

browneye

you know a butthole!
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I think my state still has emissions laws...but a few years ago they stopped requiring you to get state inspections...so i'm not real worried about the emissions since uncle oklahoma doesn't check on it anymore...

When it comes to piecing together a turbo kit....given it depends on the components I choose but is this generally cheaper than just buying a prefab kit? I'm really just looking to boost enough to get me up above 180-190 nothing to much since it's on stock internals.

Thanks for all of the good comments!

Mr. Lin

Admiral Ackbar
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Well, I think 180 is easily obtainable with Drag's kit.
You won't get it from the GReddy.

I was thinking you were going for 225+

Handlebars

None Taken.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mr. Lin said:
Well, I think 180 is easily obtainable with Drag's kit.
You won't get it from the GReddy.

I was thinking you were going for 225+
180 is very achieveable with a greddy and some tuning. 280 on a b series kit has been done.

racerx661

certified pervert
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
but not with a stock greddy kit....you need all of greddys upgrades.....you SHOULD be able to to pull off those HP numbers, even though u have a SOHC with a drag/ revhard kit or piece it together urself

Mr. Lin

Admiral Ackbar
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
handlebarsfsr said:
180 is very achieveable with a greddy and some tuning. 280 on a b series kit has been done.
right... I was aiming at stock vs stock.

Handlebars

None Taken.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
drag or rev hard will make more PEAK hp, however, a greddy will have a much more desireable powerband. they spool much quicker and provide much more midrange power than the very laggy and very peaky t3/4's on the other kits. for me, its quality of boost over quantity. and i hate to say this, as im not a huge fan of the blue box, but its better than the fmu's with the other kits.