Newbie '99 Honda Civic sedan

JOglesby2

Last night I drove home my New '99 civic sedan. The car runs great. I'm anxious to ad lens to the front and back and tint the windows as a 1st step. Then other task along the way. Cars aren't really my forte, so i wouldn't mind suggestions from the community. I appreciate your help.

JOglesby2

sorry for the delayed pics...did i mention i was a newb...lol

CO671

Registered VIP
I guess i'll just copy this over for you to read too

Really nice! Is it 5 speed or automatic?
1)Start off with cleaning. Good wash and wax, then a steam clean in the inside, maybe take out the seats too just to clean it thoroughly since it still has those old dead skin cells of the previous owner! Simple green is great for interior panels and many other parts of the car. Use a tint-safe glass cleaner for the tint (you don't want ammonia based cleaning products on your tint, it'll ruin it). Wd-40 is actually a good cleaner for the engine bay because it eats up the gunk, just grab a can or two and spray around. Try not to get it all over the alternator, any of the belts, or flooding the distributor or sensors. Then wipe clean.
2) Sand down and spray-paint those windshield wiper arms, maybe get new blades if they're bad
3) If you grab some spray-paint, also try to look for some high temp paint that can be used to paint the valve cover and heat shield: (assuming yours is in need of one) [there are many online DIY tutorials for this)
4) Tune-up, new spark plugs and wires, distributor cap and rotor, air filter (a washable one), fluids (oil, coolant, brake, power steering, transmission, clutch too if it's manual), brake pads and/or rotors. Reason for this, because it's your vehicle, you need to maintain it or have a shop do it and you now can mark down your own service intervals and be happy you have a good running car, unless you know the previous owner took good care of it. You can save hundreds of dollars by doing simple jobs yourself and have shops do the more technical or things you don't feel comfortable doing.
5) Maybe more in-depth tune-up, valve adjustment, timing etc;etc;
6) Be sure it runs right and reliable before you start throwing money into mods.
7) If you want a tachometer, go out to a yard or look on classifieds sections and grab or 96-00 Civic LX/EX or 97-01 CRV cluster it's a very simple mod, just a few screws and plugs to plug in. If you want, there are modifications to get an S2000, Integra, or 2001-2005 Civic Cluster into your Civic.

JOglesby2

thanks for the input. Its an automatic. My Mechanic did some work to it before selling it to me. Great car, runs smooth! Any suggestions on lens? what are good deals, good brands, ect..