Newbie | Civic 2005 | Service Question

drozzy

Hi Guys,
I am new to the forum (and the country). Please ignore common protocol mistakes.=)

I just purchased a 2005 Civic last week. Its run 21000 miles so far.
Before actually buying the car I took it out to a nearby Firestone to get a complete check-up done.
Nothing fatal was diagnosed but Firestone being what it is had to give in its recommendations.

Below is what they want me to do:
Flush Brake System
Part: $20
Labor: $60

Cabin Air Filter (CAF1758)
Part: $30
Labor: $20

Fuel System Tune-up (EK-10T EVER-WEAR FUEL SYSTEM CLEANER)
Part: $40
Labor: $55

This sounds like a frikkin rip-off...
I want you experts to give me your opinion on this.

Should I get this done from Firestone?
Can I do any of the above myself? If yes then how?:?:

jerk334

Hearts my SOHC
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
these are all easy jobs, BUY A HAYNES BOOK. unless you want me to write you a DIY, or it should be a DIM, do it myself for 150 labor

lowlife9

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
garages are always going to over charge you for parts and labor. take a trip to napa or any parts store and get a manual as previously stated and also purchase the parts you need.

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
I agree with the statements above, all are jobs that someone with little mechanical knowledge should be able to tackle. Search online, and get yourself a haynes manual.

lowlife9

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
but that is completely absurd that they want to charge $100 dollars to pour a bottle of $9 dollar fuel cleaner in your gas tank . they need to be b***h slapped.

T355

5+ Year Member
"2.Cabin Air Filter
(CAF1758)
Part: $30
Labor: $20"

Damn! $50 for a 30 second job of changing a cabin air filter is ridiculous! The air filter is only like $15.