Newbie here, question about tools I should get to start up with

Eun

5+ Year Member
Hello, I'm new here, came here like 3 days ago or something.
I was wondering, what kind of tools should I start off with?
I want to do the basic things, just oil change, brake pads...
Do you guys have any recommendations? I'm pretty broke, still in highschool.
Thanks!
**oops I forgot.
I have 98 Civic Sedan.

unr8ed06

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
just basic socket set and wrenches

ryanM

i would highly suggest a set of ratcheting wrenches, i'm not exaggerating when i say they are a freakin godsend. they help out SO much when your in a tight spot that you cant get a socket in, or when you can only turn your wrench like a 1/4 inch a a time before repositioning it. their about $100 for a full set, but IMO its worth every penny.

and a good socket set :thumbs up

xxsenceo89x

aka superman
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
snap on or craftsman. dont go cheap on tools. cheap tools break. i think one of the ones i said has a lifetime warrenty

RedLine42

High Speed
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Im sure theyll hold up but snapon and craftsman are known for their quailty.

clover ej6

i r mekanik
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Lordofdark176 said:
so is my companion set bad then?
I wouldn't say it's bad to start out with, but if i was buying tools at Sears, I would go with craftsman, since they offer a lifetime warranty. If a tool breaks, you bring it into a Sears and they'll replace it for free with a new one :D

Coutts

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
well my dad bought it for me, not sure if he got it off sears but so far they've worked great.

philly fresh

5+ Year Member
well sears always has 20pc specials for like 10 bucks so start there. and since you have a honda get them in MM. then add on from there for what you need in the future

Astheros

AMPhotography
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
f**k that...shell out 100 bucks at sears...and get the 152 piece craftman set....it retails for 150 but sears has a perpetual sale for 100 bucks on it...great set...should be enough tools for the majority of jobs.

2nedhnda

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
If you're really that broke, you can just pick up 8,10,12,14,17 and 19 millimeter sockets. Funny as it sounds, but you can pretty much disassemble your entire car with just those! The people above have you steered in the right direction though :thumbs up

Meoshe

5+ Year Member
I would get the whole set because you will need two of the same sizes at a time and the sets usually have 1/4", 3/8', and 1/2 " size of most sockets so that would take care of it.

Kumo

Chillin with the D.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I got a cheap tool set when I got started and purchased a more expensive one later with a lifetime warrenty. The cheap tool set goes with me everywhere just in case. But the more expensive one stays at home.

EK|B

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
+1 on the ratcheting wrenches, they are teh buttseckz.

With all Craftsman tools, you get lifetime warrenty, so you can get some new tools after you have broken one with no questions asked.