Newbie Questions?

Zaimejs

5+ Year Member
I just found out that my 1999 Civic EX has a hole in the muffler, and I've been thinking about getting a Cat Back exhaust for awhile... this gives me an excuse. I have been up and down the internet, but I haven't been able to find a reliable source of information as to which one might be the best choice.

I want something that adds a little kick but doesn't make it sound like a coffee grinder gone wrong. I see too many teeny boppers with these cars that sound like they're going 100 mph while they idle along at 12 mph. I don't want to be that guy.

I'd love a recommendation.

I'm also looking at some interior seat covers and such... any suggestions on some quality interior sprucing up would be helpful.

Thanks!

Kazan

NYGaleCCo
5+ Year Member
well first of all you'll need to figure out where the hole is, muffler dosnt mean from header to the actual muffler, if your center pipe is still good why change it? muffler is what you see in the back, then there is your center pipe (catalyser) and then your header that connects to your engine, get all stock your better off, you wont get much kick, and for inside, go leather, acura 1.6el the front is bolt on back wont fit unless you have a 4 door civic, integra also had leather like the gsr that fits your car dunno if they are bolt on but they fit and the back should fit also cuz most integras are 2 door

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member

gatlax83

TEAM FUSION
5+ Year Member
Apexi NS1 i have a 99 civic Si and its a nice deep aggressive sounds not rice or coffe grinder.

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Goto a muffler shop, get 2.5 inch piping from the cat back... then get a vibrant muffler

Than with the money you save from the high priced brands that dont do anything more or less, you can but other stuff for ur ride.

The vibrant is unrestricted and has a nice tone like the WS2 andd theres sound clips on youtube.

LINK FOR VIBRANT >>http://www.velocityshop.com/vibrant.html

Ian123

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
apexi ws2 is nice if you dont like hearing you car...i had the megan racing drift spec on my civic and it was loud as f*ck but when i put the silencer in it gave it a nice sound from inside the car while it was no louder than stock from the outside

Zaimejs

5+ Year Member
But if I get 2.5 inch piping... how do I attach it and everything? Isn't that a pain? My mechanic recommended a bolt on kit.

Does that narrow things down?

And those seats look great, but how is a person supposed to find those?

EK|B

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
WS II, search Youtube for sound/video clips.

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ive never seen a shop do mandrel bent piping for cheap unless you have the hook up

Zaimejs

5+ Year Member
You people need to remember "newbie." Your acronyms confuse and frighten me =)

I looked at the WS ... the only complaint I saw was clearance. Is that an issue?

Thanks for the suggestions. As an amateur with no skillz, I'm looking for a reliable, easy to install exhaust. Something a step up from stock. I'm still not sure what "step up" means... but you know what I mean.

Thanks!

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
there are countless people running the WS2 (Apexi' World Sport 2) exhaust. the center resonator is the lowest point in the exhaust but it does not cause clearance issues. On my car, the catalytic converter and the resonator section on the WS2 exhaust are the same at their lowest point.

its relatively cheap ($413 shipped) from thmotorsports.com and is a direct bolt on.

Zaimejs

5+ Year Member
I just checked my exhaust... some how I hit something and shoved the rear pipe into the fiberglass bumper... and it melted to the tailpipe. Ick. Ack.

Anyway... I was looking under my car, and the muffler is in crappy shape. It's some aftermarket thing... but the original Honda tailpipe is immaculate. I was reading some other threads about the catback WS2 not being stainless steel. Sounds like there's a good chance that it wouldn't last as long as a replacement muffler... original from Honda. And the muffler would be about 200 vs. 400+ for the WS2. Now I'm thinking of just going with original equipment...

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
the apexi is stainless steel but it has a thermal coating on the piping and its 60mm piping. But if you need a quick fix, then the OEM axle back should be just fine.