Newly installed KYB AGX......crappy ride???

civic98mi

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Just installed a set of 4 KYB AGX adjustables on my 98 Civic HX, meant to replace 3 blown OEM struts. On my old struts I just had a set of no-name coilovers, I think they're called Exelon or something like that. Anyways, most of the install went smooth, and I left the adjustments alone for the most part, 2 in the front, 4 in the rear. (front are 4-way adjustable, rear are 8-way). The only problem I ran into was the bolt that holds the strut fork to the front lower control arm, seized up inside the bushing and I had to have it professionally cut out, and the bushing replaced. The first day, my front sat higher than normal, then it eventually settled and my front end lowered to where it used to be.

And by all means, i'm not 'slammed' on my coilovers, but I do have a wheel gap of maybe 1/4 to 1/2 an inch.

Does anyone in here have these same shocks??? I read another post by searching that said a friend had KYB AGX's and the first few weeks it rode like s**t, and after that, it got better once the broke in. So is there a break-in period?

Oh, and by shitty ride, i mean not bouncy at all, just very stiff, so when I hit big cracks in the pavement, or small potholes, you feel it through the whole car, cd player skips, and make a loud terrible bang noise.

denracho

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
its normal.. dont drive your car to potholes... i blown 3 tires when driving in big potholes... also maybe you coilovers have different spring rates.. buy a better coilovers:P

denracho

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i have omni coil-overs and kyb shocks.. little bouncy and stiff but its ok..i like it:P

imeonic

5+ Year Member
thats normal.
the lower you go the crappier the ride :P
taking away the bumpstops will blow your shocks in less time.

Drackonn

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
get not crappy coilovers, that will help the problem ... but no matter what your ride is going to be stiff, you can try and set the shocks all the way soft, but I dont know how it will handle then ... I have kybs and omni's ... my shocks are 2 in the front and 6 in the back ... I also would agree and recommend driving a little more defensive and avoiding things like potholes ... :thumbs up

also as for coilover choices - get some ground controls with the top hats ... thats what Im gonna grab in about 2 months here.

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
really really really try to avoid big bumps and pot holes.