ngk wireset or k&n filter?

cvic98lx

5+ Year Member
If I have about $50 to spare on a 98 civic with d16y7 engine running at 30 mpg, would it be for a new ngk wireset or a k&n panel air filter?
btw, the existing wireset resistance is about 14k ohms and the filter is a generic one.

Wax Hands

Smell my finger
Registered VIP
Go for the filter. You wont see much if anything with wires alone. Actually save a bit more money and just do a tun up. You will more than likely bring the power back up 10 or so horsepower with a healthy tune-up.

s_crowley 17

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
whens the last time you replaces the wires? I would actually opt for the filter..

Kensai

♪♫♪♫♪~
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Filter unless the wires are faulty..

cvic98lx

5+ Year Member
thanks for the quick replies, i bought the car last year and i think the wireset is still the original with 14k ohm resistance. Have put additional 5k miles on it and im hoping to save more gas if not gain a little more power during acceleration by spending $50

s_crowley 17

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
K&N filters are junk get the wires.
whats your reasoning behind this? Have you compared K&N to other performance filters? I would say K&N filters are not junk, at all. they are way better than 'junk' autozone/advanced auto parts filters...

redexcoupe

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
how dirty is the air filter? if its dirty go aheady replace it! but i bought some NGK wires, and it seems that my car runs better now!

cvic98lx

5+ Year Member
how dirty is the air filter? if its dirty go aheady replace it! but i bought some NGK wires, and it seems that my car runs better now!
its not that dirty actually, its because of all the positive threads about ngk wireset that im still undecided whether to get a branded filter or new wireset. im just not sure if replacing the wires at 14k vs 25k resistance limit is practical than getting a new filter. ngk wires have only 8k resistance. was thinking its possible the 6k resistance difference will translate into more power getting into the spark plug and more efficient combustion therefore a smoother runnning engine...

i think ill save another 50 bucks and get both=)

Wax Hands

Smell my finger
Registered VIP
Dont be suprised on the OHM's for ignition wires. A lot of them have a lot of resistance because the cores are typically made from graphite.

Mugenn_civic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
get the filter, you dont want any particles messing up ur piston rings... generic filters are famous for that...
wires can wait... jsut do a full tune-up all together... that way u can keep track of when exactly they were replaced.

Aldundra

5+ Year Member
get the filter, you dont want any particles messing up ur piston rings... generic filters are famous for that...
wires can wait... jsut do a full tune-up all together... that way u can keep track of when exactly they were replaced.
What?

Paper filters are great at capturing dirt/dust/othershit from being sucked up into the intake, they just don't flow as much air as aftermarket filters.

A K&N will flow more air, but it lets more s**t in because it doesn't filter the air as good as a paper filter.

I'm not knocking K&N because I have one on my SRI, but you got your facts backwards

EK|B

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I would rather have the filter.

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
As you said the filter is rather clean, but the wires are the original ones, I would go with the wires.

Preventative maintenance if not anything else.

Mugenn_civic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
What?

Paper filters are great at capturing dirt/dust/othershit from being sucked up into the intake, they just don't flow as much air as aftermarket filters.

A K&N will flow more air, but it lets more s**t in because it doesn't filter the air as good as a paper filter.

I'm not knocking K&N because I have one on my SRI, but you got your facts backwards
i dunno not whet i heard, that's usually the main argument between k&n OR Aem vs generic

Z3R)

5+ Year Member
from what ive seen your supposed to use the K&N spray and thats supposed to help capture the particles that the filter normally would let through. if the filter didnt have that or you dont clean and reapply that stuff you will most likely have more particles flow through the filter.

they both do help out the car. id suggest waiting until you can do a full tune up and replace the filter and wires at the same time. but if it were me id get the filter first.

cvic98lx

5+ Year Member
Now ive been reading online about air filters and found some issues with K&N filters usually when re-oiling. As an alternative, whats your take on the AFE pro-dry S air panel filters? Has anyone tried using this type of filter?

cvic98lx

5+ Year Member
Replaced the wires with ngk HE76 (8034). Hardly notice any difference except for the cool blue color of the new wires.
I'm not sure if they are OE wires but all wires have 1998 z-16 LE-E SEWS markijngs on them.

Now back to AFE pro dry S filter...has anyone installed this type of filter on their ride?

Last edited:

RonJ

Banned
Replaced the wires with ngk HE76 (8034). Hardly notice any difference except for the cool blue color of the new wires. I strongly think the original wires are still ok so now you'll find them for sale in the marketplace.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110526464552&viewitem=&_trkparms=algo=LVI&its=I&otn=1&category=33692#ht_500wt_1182

I measured again the resistance of the wires.#1 11k ohms,#2 10k ohms,#3 8k ohms and #4 7k ohms. Must have failed to insert the meter probe when i first measured one of the wires thats why i got 14k in one of them. All wires are numbered (1 to 4) for cylinder identification.

I'm not sure if they are OE wires but all wires have 1998 z-16 LE-E SEWS markijngs on them.

Now back to AFE pro dry S filter...has anyone installed this type of filter on their ride?
Please delete this post and make a thread in the FS forum.