no cat

yourname9505

5+ Year Member
I am runing aftermarket header with aftermarket exhaust, but no cat. is this good? also when i installed the new header i noticed that the lower sensor on the manifold could not reach the prongs to where the new location is with the new header. im only running on the one upper sensor. is this bad until i can relocate the sensor prongs? what exactly does the sensor do? i will probably have to tear into the harness to make it long enough to reach.

DetainedCivic

I haz SR20
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Running no cat is ok for off road/track use only. Going to get shitty gas mileage, you will throw a check engine light because the sensor is located in the cat. Plus you are polluting the air. I bet your car is loud as hell to which hurts my ears. Put the car together right if this is a street driven car.

DAF

Zinc Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
So I am assuming what you are saying is you have headers and then just a pipe going to the back, or do you have a resinator(sp)? If you have one, you should be ok, your gas will suffer a little, but not too much, if no rez, youll get pulled over quickly, and it is very illegal to run with out one.

yourname9505

5+ Year Member
yeah no resinator, and yeah its hella loud. but do you guys actually know what the sensor is for? and im guessing its cool to run without one

WiggerMan

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
the sensor is used to tell the ecm how much oxygen is in the system, which it then adjusts the air to fuel ratio to give you the best milage/polution it can.. also if it doesnt reach just snip the wires and splice em to make em longer, use some waterproof connectors or heat shrink to keep from getting a short. other then that good luck :D

yourname9505

5+ Year Member
Thanks for the info. Also i was wanting to know if its true that you get extra horses if you drop the cat? i think you do because you have no restriction, but it loud as hell!

yourname9505

5+ Year Member
i see. well i need one for inspection and i dont feel like getting a cheap on off ebay and it robb me of power and mess up my exhaust. so do any of you know where i could get a factory cat? i beleive its going to be located right after the 4-2-1 header.

chadi

chuatZ
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
im currently running without the second o2 sensor ... threw the check engine light...but i dont see that much loss in power...nor gas milage

DetainedCivic

I haz SR20
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Im running a catco free flow cat, didn't add to much in sound and felt a little more peppy. There are nice bolt on cats ranging around $200 online. Thinking Jackson Racing makes one.

jdmek00

5+ Year Member
if u are going to make the sensor longer.. dont cut the wires to close to the sensor

DAF

Zinc Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
DetainedCivic said:
Ebay = Junk
Getting the Ebay high flow cat is no worse then taking a 3" pipe and welding it in place of the cat. If its not a moving part, or can easily be modified with basic fabrication work, the ebay crap aint too bad, just dont get B series headers off ebay, they dont fit. Really all my exhaust system is, is 3" piping coming out of a cheap on cat (which just looks like a tube when you look through it, I highly doubt it creates any back pressure at all) and some cheap-o resinator that sounds good.