NO! my red key has been used to start my car

airzi

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Hi CC,

What do i do next, i know there is away without going thru honda cos i am not buying a new immob box and red key. Can anybody tell me what i need to do next?

Thanks in advance guys.

airzi

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
all i know is its wiped all my keys.

BlueSiclone

Master Ricer
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
double check with your local dealer, but they may just be able to reprogram the keys

airzi

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i think the ecu willl need reprogramin to.

airzi

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
anybody know if using my red key would of affected my ecu or can i just get an auto lock smith to reprogramme my keys in my immob box?

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
can you tell me what the hell you guys are talking about.. lol have not had a honda for a year or so now.. but i didnt have any red keys.. lol guess this is some alarm protection thing?

2NRSTV

Team Exile/ADO Garage
Registered VIP
I think it's a UK thing. Went on a couple of their forums and a bunch of guys are having red key issues. It has to do with the security immobilizer system.

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
You're not supposed to use the red key as an ignition key. My understanding is it's for programming the black key during your security system setup.

Using the red key in the ignition will reset you ECU and immobilizer. So now you're going to need to go to Honda and get these items reprogrammed/replaced. You're also going to need a new set of keys.

You might be able to get away with replacement used parts, but I figure you'd have to replace everything all over again too.

From reading it sounds like you might be able to use an older ECU to get around this immobilizer, but I don't know how reliable that might be and I'm not really familiar with the system.

You might be able to find more help from Americans (just mentioning this since a lot of the forums have a lot of Americans) if you ask peope who have Preludes. These cars appear to have the same red key available. The red keys look to also have been used in Australia.

I did manage to find this from Honda.

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20081219115952AAnhvbW
System operation
System arms 5 seconds after switching ignition OFF. Immobilizer warning lamp flashes during this time.
Arms automatically when ignition key is removed.
Switch ignition ON.
Immobilizer warning lamp illuminates for 2-3 seconds.
If immobilizer warning lamp illuminates for 2-3 seconds then flashes rapidly:
Key code not recognised.
Remove key and try again.

Programming
When
System malfunction.
Key added or replaced.
Red master key replaced.

How
Obtain red master key and all other keys.
Immobilizer can only be programmed using diagnostic equipment.
NOTE: A maximum of 5 keys can be programmed.

airzi

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
great info NOFX nice find!!!!!

Thank you =)

its now booked in to Honda.