Noob with 1998 Civic

bizak

I just purchased a 1998 civic ex 5spd with 90k it has D16Y8 engine for $2000.
Its kept very dirty from the inside and decent from the outside. It's lightly modded ( intake, header ). It has no oil leaks, the engine does not knock or has any sort of noise.
My question is, do I need to be concerned about anything? Are there any informative links that I can read and so on. I'm not looking to heavily mod the car but I would like to know what are some easy mods that it will gain a bit of power and be reliable for every day use.

mahalo

formerly egninesallday
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
its a slow car... a few easy/cheap mods will not make it faster only louder. not rreally worth the money. swap the motor or turbo it if you want power. lower it get some rims. if you want it to look better. good luck!! and welcome

bizak

My hopes went up by a lot but thanks. Is the catalytic converter located in the exhaust manifold or underneath the car?

mahalo

formerly egninesallday
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
the cat is under the car

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I'd start by doing a tune up to it... Change the spark plugs, wires, dizzy cap/rotor, maybe seafoam it, check the timing belt or make sure it was recently replaced. Civic mostly stock under 1000k for $2000 is a pretty decent deal, just make sure everything is mechanically solid.

Post up some pics! And stick around on the forums!

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I'd start by doing a tune up to it... Change the spark plugs, wires, dizzy cap/rotor, maybe seafoam it, check the timing belt or make sure it was recently replaced. Civic mostly stock under 1000k for $2000 is a pretty decent deal, just make sure everything is mechanically solid.

Post up some pics! And stick around on the forums!
:word:

Don't forget fuel and air filters, and all fluids (oil, coolant, tranny, brake, clutch, power steering).

At 90k, it's not quite time to replace the timing belt yet, but you may want to just in case.

bizak

I sure will, I heard that stock intake is better then a cheap ebay intake. should i switch back to the stock intake with a k&n air filter or keep it the way it is?

Finnish~Racer

The ONLY Finnish-Canadian
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
no, the stock intake tends to restrict more airflow than any upgrade intake piping. i'd keep it the way it is.

welcome to CC man, and try to post up some pics of the horrid interior. hahahaha

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
no, the stock intake tends to restrict more airflow than any upgrade intake piping. i'd keep it the way it is.

welcome to CC man, and try to post up some pics of the horrid interior. hahahaha
wrong. stock airbox with a K&N filter is just as effective. The only real difference is the sound...

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I sure will, I heard that stock intake is better then a cheap ebay intake. should i switch back to the stock intake with a k&n air filter or keep it the way it is?
Just use what you got and put a good filter on it. Doesn't really matter if it's stock or aftermarket... mainly looks and sound. :what:

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
for now bro, you can just make it look good.

Lower it, with some lips, nice wheels...you'll have yourself a nice looking car. Keep it clean. when you want more power, definitely do a swap or turbo.