Obd 1 p28 ECU from 1992-95 civic ex or si..Is there any difference between ex or si?

boosted to 26ps

#1 wrecker builder
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
damn my bad i just noticed i didnt hit the reply button lol

ok so what controls when the vtec engages and how much it engages ? The ecu right?

cuz i know the y8 comes stock with the p2p ecu , thats the one i have right now,
but i heard the p28 ecu is the best ecu for sohc, because vtec engages earlier and engages harder ? im not sure tho thats just what i heard from a friend ?

ima start a new thread maybe someone knows for sure and could clear it up for me

cuz i dont know whats the difference between the p2p and p28 ecu? i just heard the p28 is better but for what reason?

thanks either way you guys for helping me out on this thread
the vtec solenoid engages when it recieves a positive or go signal from the ecu...when that engages it locks the rocker arms together. it isnt rocket science and im describing this as easily as i can. when the rockers are locked together it allows the vtec lobe on the camshaft to open the valves up for a longer duration and stroke

all the ecu does is send the signal to the solenoid. thats it...it does nothing else...the p2p isnt chip friendly thats why the p28 is the better one of the two...redline is sooner and crossover is a lil sooner.....also if your on a stock motor...changing settings will do nothing for you.

watch the vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stJM9EvZRgQ

johnmota93

damm ok i didnt know it was that complicated

hopefully that c.e.l 22 dosent come out when i use vtec cuz i never cracked v-tec on my ride.. im one code away from clearing my c.e.l codes cuz i know vtec wont kick at all if you have a c.e.l

if my oil pressure does fall below that and that c.e.l comes out how do you fix it? is it a major problem?

and sorry to sound like such a noob but i never cracked v-tec or been in a car thats using v-tec is it a major difference that you can obviously tell when v-tec engages? cuz i want to find out when it actually engages on the p28 but i dont know if ill be able to tell?

obviously i know its not like hitting nos or turbo lol but you do feel a accelaration boost right?

thanks boosted

boosted to 26ps

#1 wrecker builder
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
damm ok i didnt know it was that complicated

hopefully that c.e.l 22 dosent come out when i use vtec cuz i never cracked v-tec on my ride.. im one code away from clearing my c.e.l codes cuz i know vtec wont kick at all if you have a c.e.l

if my oil pressure does fall below that and that c.e.l comes out how do you fix it? is it a major problem?

and sorry to sound like such a noob but i never cracked v-tec or been in a car thats using v-tec is it a major difference that you can obviously tell when v-tec engages? cuz i want to find out when it actually engages on the p28 but i dont know if ill be able to tell?

obviously i know its not like hitting nos or turbo lol but you do feel a accelaration boost right?

thanks boosted
if the oil pressure falls....add oil till your diip stick reads full.....plain and simple.

as of hearing it or feeling any type of acceleration boost....nope wont feel a damn thing. you might hear a subtle tone change in the motor but you have to actually listen for it. vtec cross over should be a smooth engagement....not like OMFG ZOOM... like my stock y8 i can hear the changeover...but then again i have a really keen ear for listening to engines...been a mechanic since 98. but if you have your radio up just enough that you can hear the music....you wont hear crossover.

johnmota93

ok nice now i understand how it works, yea you can see on that video when the vtec engages it locks those rocker arms and the valves open for a little longer duration and stronger stroke right?

or am i off ?

btw thanks for that vid its awesome perfect example of it thanks boosted!!

the vtec solenoid engages when it recieves a positive or go signal from the ecu...when that engages it locks the rocker arms together. it isnt rocket science and im describing this as easily as i can. when the rockers are locked together it allows the vtec lobe on the camshaft to open the valves up for a longer duration and stroke

all the ecu does is send the signal to the solenoid. thats it...it does nothing else...the p2p isnt chip friendly thats why the p28 is the better one of the two...redline is sooner and crossover is a lil sooner.....also if your on a stock motor...changing settings will do nothing for you.

watch the vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stJM9EvZRgQ

boosted to 26ps

#1 wrecker builder
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ok nice now i understand how it works, yea you can see on that video when the vtec engages it locks those rocker arms and the valves open for a little longer duration and stronger stroke right?

or am i off ?

btw thanks for that vid its awesome perfect example of it thanks boosted!!
basically yup....longer valve duration and higher valve lift....i ment to say that the first time but got conflustered with kids here and couldnt think. also i think the fuel map is optimized after the crossover...but that i am not entirely sure of

johnmota93

ok cool thats a simple fix i thought it would be some other complicated s**t lol

alright thats cool i just wanted to know what to expect ima do a little speed test when i get it working tho
i have a straight about 3/4 of a mile maybe less going to my house that usually has no cars or traffic ( hard to find that living in l.a) that i usually go all out on and hit 90 before i have to start braking so ima see how fast i get to when i get that new ecu in

i should have some better performance in my car tho right?

cuz i have c.e.l that once i get the p 28 ecu in should go away, i heard if you have check engine light your car goes into sort of a limp mode and holds off on power and performance dont know if thats true, maybe you know from mechanic experience?

if the oil pressure falls....add oil till your diip stick reads full.....plain and simple.

as of hearing it or feeling any type of acceleration boost....nope wont feel a damn thing. you might hear a subtle tone change in the motor but you have to actually listen for it. vtec cross over should be a smooth engagement....not like OMFG ZOOM... like my stock y8 i can hear the changeover...but then again i have a really keen ear for listening to engines...been a mechanic since 98. but if you have your radio up just enough that you can hear the music....you wont hear crossover.

johnmota93

ok cool no problem bro wutever way you said it i understood it lol i love these forums i didnt know a thing about cars and engines besides checking oil and changing a tire before i got my car and started some handson experience, and these forums have alot of technical help like you i never wouldve got this good of a explantion by googling that question lol

ok thats another thing i have no idea about but it does inject more fuel when you use v-tec right ? or am i wrong?

basically yup....longer valve duration and higher valve lift....i ment to say that the first time but got conflustered with kids here and couldnt think. also i think the fuel map is optimized after the crossover...but that i am not entirely sure of