obd2 fun stuff....

Trekk

Registered VIP
Hello!
I got a question for you all, I currently have a d16y7 motor and ECU I guess (haven't looked) but it has a EX manifold on it. I won a greddy turbo/manifold off ebay, but the seller is trying to pull out cause it went for so cheap.... So I'm not sure yet if i will really get it.
Years ago, I had a turbo civic with a votec FMU and missing link I ran at 5.5psi (so called stock Greddy kit boost levels). I later did a VAFC hack and ran it at 12psi.

These days that all seems to be old stuff people don't do anymore, I was wondering what I have for tuning options to keep it simple. I have a wideban, P28 (I think works) and a VAFC, all stuff thats been collecting dust for like 12 years lol.

Searching I see, "get hondata" in every post, but what about people with non vtec's? Can I use a p28 and turn off or set vtec kick in point at like 10k rpm's, or do I need to use a P06?
I was looking at emanage and what not, but all this s**t is $$$ This will be a daily car to work in back, I'm not looking to hit 20psi and 4xx whp this is why i don't want to spend too much to getting running.

I was thinking of maybe trying the FMU and missing link again, or trying to find a obd2 blue box for cheap or something for now.

Any help? Thanks

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
truth is fmu's and missing links aren't really good for the motor..if you wanted to stay obd2 you can get apexi power fc which is a great thing to tune on, its just finding a tuner that is the problem..converting to p28 and chipping it for a tune would be the best bet, and yes you can turn vtec off..i wouldnt even bother using the VAFC if you turbo your car again..just get a wastegate spring set at a psi you want and leave it as that and get a good tune and you'll be good to go

Trekk

Registered VIP
Cool, since I already have a P28 I would rather send that out to have hondata put on that if it can be done, then having to buy a P06 for maybe another $100. I've been looking around and also seen a AEM F/IC but idk like everyone says you cant really seem to beat the obd1 options I guess.

Just kind of sucks that the obd2 tuning options for these cars, is not that great. I use HPtuners on my V8's and I love it, I wish they sold honda credits =)

Blood_Shot

Banned
Registered VIP
Get an OBD2-obd1 conversion harness, send your p28 to phearable.net (dudes name is something vega he lives in FL) and have him chip your ecu. If/when you get the kit find a tuner (wont be hard in miami maybe even CFT it cant be too far) and they will tune it and burn you a chip. No big deal