obd2b-obd1 ecu harness issues

710times

So as stated in the title im having the one issue that most people have when it comes to these harnesses. Well this is where my problem begins, so as most threads say online to take the spare terminal on the icm and and run a wire to the shock tower tach plug. as soon as i hook up the wire to the lonely blue tach wire on the tower it shuts off. if the car is running and i touch it to the blue tach wire the car shuts off. as soon as the wire is removed is starts up. its on the right terminal in the dizzy, everything is ran how its suppose to. i have 2 different obd1 ecus also both have the same return when used, there is no difference at all still no tach and as soon as the connection is made the car dies. other than that the car runs great with the obd1 ecu. this is in a 2000 civic ex coupe. any help would be great. thank you

Last edited:

710times

I put towards the bottom it's a 2000 civic ex coupe OBD2B Dizzy. And it has a d16y8 with a stage one cam have been needed to do the ecu swap. Finally did it and the tach didn't work so I decided to do what most forums say. To connect a wire to the spare terminal on the OBD2B distributor ICM which is for the tach(so I read) I did as instructions followed and connected the wire from the spare terminal on the ICM to the blue wire that's alone on the drivers side shock tower and the car wouldn't start up. As soon as I took the wire off the tach test wire the car started right up. I'm not home right now at the moment or I would post pictures. There was only one spare terminal on the ICM though just like in all the pictures and descriptions. Please tell me if I left something out that you asked for. And I'm getting my information from this fourm. After looking here I've looked on honda-tech also. Thank you @boofoo. Any help is appreciated

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

710times

I'm gonna have to say it's the conversion harness. I know I'm gonna get flamed for it but I only paid 25 for it on ebay. I think I might have found the issue. When i pulled the cap off I saw the wire had ripped and is grounding out on the dizzy.

710times

Ya, I just seen that right as I was talking to you. Damn. Flame me on that all you want. My fault there.

710times

Wow the wire does look green and white. It's just a green wire. I had it just sitting there in the picture since it was still grounded out. I'm fixing the ground as we speak then I'm gonna reconnect it all

710times

The tach works!!! I screwed up by using that big Green wire going into the distributor. It pinched it like you see in the picture and was grounding out. I found a smaller wire that looks like it's for a o2 sensor plus it's blue so it perfect for the tach. I just didn't have a lot of it. So since it was so small I used it to come out of the distributor and used the green wire to hook up to the tach tester. I sliced the grommet just enough to slide the wire in it. And voila. Perfect!!! After it warmed up it idled perfect. When it was grounded out with the obd1 ecu it was pouring white smoke(fuel) but when the obd2b ecu was hooked up it was as the wire wasn't grounded out on the distributor at all it ran perfect. Thank you for your help @boofoo

710times

Ya, it was the cap that pinched it. I foolishly was in a hurry and didn't cut the grommet to run it thru there the first time. If I would've been patient the first time then It would've been fine.

710times

well blew a head gasket!!! i thought it was the ecu harness making it run like crap at idle. till i seen my car rolling coal like a diesel truck.. kinda made me laught because i was on the side of some people laughing at my car smoking, i went to go take off and the smoke filled the cab of their car and off i went home checked my oil and voila, i can pour the milk onto some cereal and have breakfast it was so damn thick. My car barley got hot in all this nonsense thats what really made me think something was wrong since i can drive my car up the grape vine and the grade going to san diego with the ac running and doesn't even move the temp gauge. But ya, i honestly thought it was that damn obd2b-obd1 harness doing it.. someone tried telling me it was the p28 i put in it that blew the head gasket but that sounds farfetched. please tell me.

710times

Ya I told them that's bull. I had a 94 ex sedan that had a d16y8 and it was running off of a Virgin p28 and it ran fine. It's not gonna make it blow a head gasket but it might make it run rich or lean I told him, but not the head gasket.