Odd Brake Noise

serversurfer

I recently replaced my front calipers, and all seemed to go well, but yesterday I started hearing an odd noise, and I'm not sure what I should check.

The noise is kind of a rubbery creaking sound, if that makes sense. It almost sounds like a creaky spring. In fact, at first I thought it was the coil creaking, but the noise slows in frequency as the wheel slows, and stops immediately if I release the brakes, only to reappear when I reapply them. I don't notice any vibration or surging when braking, so I don't think the disc suddenly warped, and I don't brake particularly hard in any case, so I don't see why the disc should suddenly fail.

It's also worth noting that I replaced the LCA on that same corner when I did the calipers. I was concerned that didn't go as well as I'd hoped, since it was definitely the tougher job, but this sound definitely seems to be tied to the rotation of the wheel and the application of the brakes.

Anyone have any tips on what to look for first? FWIW, I've probably driven a little over 1000 miles since doing the work, almost entirely on the Interstate.

gugiey

Registered VIP
did you use any brake quiet?

serversurfer

No, I didn't, actually. I got ceramic pads, and I was under the impression they were inherently quiet. You think I should grease them?

They didn't make this noise before though — at least, I didn't notice it before — so I was worried something might be coming loose or something.

RonJ

Banned
The diagram shows where you need to apply grease. Also check that you did not install the pads in reverse.

serversurfer

Thanks, Ron. What do you mean by "in reverse"? The curved edge of the pad is on the outside edge of the disc, and I'm pretty sure the wear indicators are on the inside, but I'll double check that.

I got remanufactured calipers from AutoZone. It seemed like they were already greased up, but do I need to disassemble them and apply grease in the areas shown? I thought I only needed to do that if I was rebuilding the calipers myself.

RonJ

Banned
Reverse would be pad wear indicator on the outside.

If you installed new calipers, then the slide pins and boots are likely already greased adequately. But you need to grease the shims and I would also grease the pads where they contact the retainers.

serversurfer

What's the difference between these products? Do you recommend one over another, and if so, why?

I noticed they all say they're for non-shimmed pads. I guess I should ignore that and put it on there anyway? :lol: Oh, and I assume this is a "less is more" situation?

RonJ

Banned
The brake grease packets are used to lubricate the metal brake parts shown in diagram. The aerosol spray is for cleaning the brake rotor and pad contact surfaces prior to reassembly.

serversurfer

Oh, okay. I got the $5 bottle of "high temp brake quiet," and I'll apply it to the shims and retainers as soon as I get a chance.

I thought I read somewhere that it generally wasn't a good idea to apply anything to the discs and pads, because it would leave a residue which could affect brake performance. Is cleaning them actually a good idea?

gugiey

Registered VIP
Oh, okay. I got the $5 bottle of "high temp brake quiet," and I'll apply it to the shims and retainers as soon as I get a chance.

I thought I read somewhere that it generally wasn't a good idea to apply anything to the discs and pads, because it would leave a residue which could affect brake performance. Is cleaning them actually a good idea?
DO NOT put and on the actualy brake PAD. or rotor . your just putting brake quiet around the piston of the caliper . the part that pushes the pad . then put a bit of nickel compound on the ends of the pads where they slid on . this will cause them not to get stuck in future and cause premature brake wear

RonJ

Banned
The grease is applied sparingly only to the areas shown in the diagram. The brake cleaner aerosol is used only to clean any oil or grease that you inadvertently get on the rotor or pad contact surfaces while handling them.

serversurfer

I finally got around to putting some brake quiet on my left pads, and it hasn't done anything to eliminate the creaking, which is only on the left side. The right side has been totally quiet the whole time.

I also replaced the left LCA when I did the calipers and pads, but when I tightened the nuts on the pivots, the suspension was in full droop. (That's what it's called when it's just hanging, right?) Is it possible that the bushings are twisted up and making this creaking sound? If it's not possible, do I need to loosen and re-tighten the bolts while the suspension is under load anyway?

I saw a tip for using a floor jack to load the suspension while the car was on a stand. The dude at AutoZone actually advised me to lower the car to the ground before tightening them, but I was worried that with the lowering springs, I wouldn't be able to reach under there very well, so I just did it with the suspension hanging.