OEM Clutch Or Exedy?! Lighter flywheel or a heavy one?!

Heyits750

Top Noobie
5+ Year Member
Hey guys, im a noob to this clutch thing so don't bash plz... =)

its about that time for a clutch n i was wondering why people choose the exedy stage 1 over the OEM one? Why is it that much better? even if ur car is stock will it make a difference? (last longer) And can some one explain to me about the flywheel .... What do u gain when you have a lighter one??

Thx guys

31dev31

Chillin' Canadian Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Aftermarket clutches are built stronger than OEM and will last longer depending on driving habits and conditions. Usually the engagement is harsher with an aftermarket clutch.

Lighter flywheels allow quicker revs and will help the car's acceleration a little better.

DarkCreep

D16Y8+T
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Id stick with the stock flywheel.
After market lighter ones DO rev up faster, but all lose revs faster. I drove a car with a lightweight fly wheel and I dint really like it. Ill stick with my heavy OEM one.

31dev31

Chillin' Canadian Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Id stick with the stock flywheel.
After market lighter ones DO rev up faster, but all lose revs faster. I drove a car with a lightweight fly wheel and I dint really like it. Ill stick with my heavy OEM one.
Yeah especially when you're trying to drive up hills with a tiny 1.6 litre thats barely putting out 130 hp.

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If I remember correctly, Exedy makes the OEM Honda clutches. Most people go w/a Stage 1 clutch, b/c when you go to add power later on down the road, the clutch is capable of handling the added power.

Lighter flywheels make the engine rev faster, but that also means it drops faster. If you dont shift quick enough, it can screw up your shifting and sometimes stall it out.

DarkCreep

D16Y8+T
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Lighter flywheels make the engine rev faster, but that also means it drops faster. If you dont shift quick enough, it can screw up your shifting and sometimes stall it out.
Will it stall out daily driving or while racing?

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Will it stall out daily driving or while racing?
If you dont shift quickly, then dont even bother racing. It'll drop so fast, and by the time you make up for the loss RPMs, you wont be able to make up the time you lost. As far as stalling, it depends on when you catch it when releaseing the clutch. If you let it drop fast enough (sometimes the engine will drop so fast, it'll drop past the normal idle rpm), and let the clutch out, it'll stall out. Ive seen it happen.

hardcore97

Hard Core
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ive killed mine a few times at stop lights and stuff because of the lightweight flywheel. but it doesnt really affect your shifting if your racing unless it takes you take 5 minutes to shift gears.

Gonzo

Tin Foil Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
please dont listen to them...I have a 7lb flywheel. Had it on stock engine and i have it on my boosted engine aswell..sure it does rev up quicker and it droppes quicker but it doesnt mess with your shifting or anything. if your gonna race your shifting faster anyways. I dont have any problems " falling out of boost" or anything of the sort.

I lived in Oregon and i moved to Idaho recently and if you know anything about those 2 states you know they are full of hills. Not 1 problem even from stock engine.

Also been through 5 o clock rush hour traffic (stop and go - bumper to bumper) and guess what...no stalling BS or anything like that.

if your killing your car its because you dont know how to drive it.

hardcore97

Hard Core
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
please dont listen to them...I have a 7lb flywheel. Had it on stock engine and i have it on my boosted engine aswell..sure it does rev up quicker and it droppes quicker but it doesnt mess with your shifting or anything. if your gonna race your shifting faster anyways. I dont have any problems " falling out of boost" or anything of the sort.

I lived in Oregon and i moved to Idaho recently and if you know anything about those 2 states you know they are full of hills. Not 1 problem even from stock engine.

Also been through 5 o clock rush hour traffic (stop and go - bumper to bumper) and guess what...no stalling BS or anything like that.

if your killing your car its because you dont know how to drive it.
i never understood why people say its harder to go up hills ive never had a problem. you will kill it a few times whens you first get it until you get used to it. i love mine as well and dont have much trouble with it. mine is also a 7lb.

jcivic94

5+ Year Member
use a integra type-r clutch and fly wheel. the fly wheel is lighter than your oem b16 one and the clutch is good aswell