OEM miata wheels on a 96 dx hatch?

FLAteam

5+ Year Member
I just came across a set of 94 miata OEM wheels and they look like this:

http://www.miata.net/faq/images/95alloy.jpg

I've read a few places that civic owners use them, as they are 4x100 bolt pattern. However, I've also read a few things that say they don't fit right due to the center hub:

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1982108

Today I tried putting one wheel on and it did wobble a bit more than my steel wheel (the steelie also wobbled, but not as much) around the center hub. After tightening the lug nuts, everything seemed fine, spun fine, didn't wobble even when tried to make them wobble. I didn't drive on it.

So what's the deal with these wheels? Do they fit or do they not? Do I have to get them modified? I really like these wheels, they're lightweight and stylish (and I got them for a good price).

Thanks.

rsboy

5+ Year Member
Well if the offset, bolt pattern and everything is the same as the 96-98 Civic then it shouldn't be a problem. People might just say crap about running Mazda wheels on a Honda, but if you like them... go for it. ;) Just verify the specs and make sure they fit correctly.

They look pretty good, kinda like my old Impreza RS stock wheels.

Suanico

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
i would just get hx rims they look damn close plus they are honda rims

FLAteam

5+ Year Member
haha, yeah, but i got these wheels at a steal of a price. the miata wheels are surprisingly light too (lighter than hx wheels).

in any case, it seems like only one person on another forum has tried doing this and its his opinion that the only safe way to put these wheels on is to re-bore the center. i'll keep searching.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
And HX rims would fit too wouldn't they? I know you have to shave some of the caliper bracket off on the EX model to get HX rims to fit. But I don't think so on the DX? :what:.

chunktwo

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
the hub bore is prolly different.. thats why they wobble a bit..

if you tighten it properly then it should be ok but your car will shake at higher speeds

95gainfla

5+ Year Member
my buddy had them on his ek coupe for awhile. never seemed to have any problems with them at all, and they looked pretty nice too.

FLAteam

5+ Year Member
haha, yeah, but i got these wheels at a steal of a price.
I think I may have answered everyone's question to "why not get hx wheels" in this above quote. HX wheels seem to be more rare (and if not, they're in higher demand) and so they go for at least $200...in any case, this is what i've got, and if someone wants to trade for hx wheels, that's fine too, but i got these wheels at a good price, so that's why i picked them up.

some people use wheels spacers on the miata wheels to put on their civics, but i heard that was pretty dangerous and that the only proper way to put them on your civic is to re-bore it. i'm asking a local place how much its gonna cost tomorrow.

...and they're lighter than hx wheels;)

ryanM

their ugly, i dont know why you would spend money on them

you drive a civic DX, who cares how heavy your rims are.

FLAteam

5+ Year Member
their ugly, i dont know why you would spend money on them

you drive a civic DX, who cares how heavy your rims are.
haha, everyone's entitled to their opinion. the way i look at it, they had pretty good tires on them too, so i paid a pretty good price for good tires and wheels. lower weight would improve everything, including fuel economy! i appreciate your opinions, but i'm really looking for tech support...

Sundown

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
bore the hub out and rock them if you like the way they look. I really dont understand everyone's fascination with hx's.. They look good, but they're thin as s**t

(and to be honest, ive considered getting these wheels too.. a lot of people dont know about using them or their potential :cool:)

ryanM

bore the hub out and rock them if you like the way they look. I really dont understand everyone's fascination with hx's.. They look good, but they're thin as s**t

(and to be honest, ive considered getting these wheels too.. a lot of people dont know about using them or their potential :cool:)
werd, skinny wheels ftl...

thats why im gonna run 18x10 up front and 18x12 in back :cool:

Sundown

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
werd, skinny wheels ftl...

thats why im gonna run 18x10 up front and 18x12 in back :cool:
:shock::shock::shock:.. Wheels that are a foot wide ftmfw. I have a friend who has a coupe with 18x9 Front / 18 x 10.5 Rear and his s**t looks really really sick so I can only imagine what yours is going to look like..

but back on topic,
I used to have pictures of a ef (or ed :roll:) with miata wheels that looked pretty good, but I cant find them..

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
you know what those wheels say to me? "someone stole my steelies off my DX.. so i stole these off my ex-girlfriend's MX5"

and sundown, longgrain was being sarcastic.... very sarcastic. i hope you were too

Last edited:

FLAteam

5+ Year Member
i drove on the front two today (one of the tires had a hole in it, so i couldn't do the rear two). it drove fine, other than a little tendancy to drift to the right and it seemed like the steering was heavier...i got it up the about 65mph and it didn't wobble or get me scared or anything.

Blue_EF

5+ Year Member
i had some oldskool mazda rims i put on from a buddy and it was 4 lug and looked like it fit n everything..

turns out the axle nut didnt completely match up to the circle in the middle of the rim just by a few millameters... i had 4 tires break 2 outa 4 studs all at the same time commin home from work......make sure that s**t fits correctly people or u will be replacing a s**t load of studs!

Sundown

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
you know what those wheels say to me? "someone stole my steelies off my DX.. so i stole these off my ex-girlfriend's MX5"

and sundown, longgrain was being sarcastic.... very sarcastic. i hope you were too
:lol: obviously..
I really doubt he could afford anything like that...

I dont have a friend with a coupe either.. :lol:..