1. ClubCivic is now on Instagram! Follow us at clubcivicdotcom. Want your photos features? Tag or DM us, use #clubcivicdotcom, or email us your photos to photos@clubcivic.com

OFFICIAL DIY: Mishimoto Radiator Install - 97 Civic

Discussion in 'Engine Tech / Drivetrain DIY How-To's' started by Jay Jay, Jul 22, 2008.

Welcome to ClubCivic a Honda Civic Forum

Club Civic is an online Honda Civic forum and community for all Honda Civic enthusiasts. Whether you own a Honda Civic Si, Ex, Type R, Dx, Lx, Cx, Dx, Vx, or even a hybrid you will find valuable information and honda civic car parts on this site. Take a look around to view Honda Civic discussion; including a photo gallery, maintenance information, tech tips, as well as ways to get better performance from your Honda Civic. Visit the Members Ride's to view and rate other member’s Honda Civics. Click here to start viewing the Honda Civic Forums. Before you start posting on this site you will need to register. If you are already registered and not logged in, please login here.

Browse the forums by generation by clicking below or browse all honda civic forums.

1. Jay Jay

Jay Jay Administrator Staff Member Registered VIP Registered OG Premium 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

DIY: Mishimoto half length radiator install on a 1997 Honda Civic

Applicable Years: 92-00 Honda Civic

Difficulty: 2 out of 5

Estimated Time: 2hrs

Upgrading your radiator to increase engine performance and cooling efficiency is really an easy task. And Mishimoto makes an affordable aluminum radiator to do just that and the quality is great. I finally decided to replace my Koyo radiator. It was too thick causing it to hit my turbo being forced to sit crooked, not really being secured.

[​IMG]

Here is a comparison of the old Koyo and the new Mishimoto. You can see the Mishimoto is a bit thinner and not quite as wide, which will fit just perfect in my engine bay.

[​IMG]

Mishimoto Honda Civic Radiator 1992-2000
    The half length civic radiator is a perfect upgrade for anyone looking to increase engine performance and cooling efficiency. Popular among import tuners, this half sized radiator can also be tailored towards B and D series motors in custom applications (note: Mishimoto cannot give technical or installation help on custom application installations).

Model: MMRAD-CIV-92

MSRP: $250.00

Tech Specs

Core Size: 350mm x 358mm
    Rows: 2
    Inlet: 32mm
    Outlet: 32mm
    Core Thickness: 42mm
    Tank Wall Thickness: 2mm
    Fill Neck : 31mm

Note: This item is for Manual Transmission vehicles. For automatic applications, please purchase optional Mishimoto transmission cooler (P/N: MMTC-U)

Purchase Includes: Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto 1.1Bar Rad Cap, 1 Year Warranty

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Installation:
    1. To start, jack the front of the car up using the recommended steps in your operators manual.
    2. Next remove the drain plug, draining the coolant into a drain pan. Remove the radiator cap to help the fluid flow faster.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    3. Once all of the coolant is drained you can remove the upper reservoir hose, upper radiator hose and lower radiator hose.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    4. Next unbolt, unplug and remove the radiator fan. I was using a slim fan in "pusher" mode in front of the radiator.
    5. Once everything is disconnected from the radiator, remove it.

[​IMG]
    6. Install the new Mishimoto radiator into place. Making sure the feet seat correcting below.

[​IMG]
    7. Mount and connect the fan. I had to switch my slim fan back to a puller since it is now back in the stock position.

[​IMG]
    8. Reconnect the upper, lower, and reservoir hoses.Now I just need to get a new upper radiator hose since mine is to short.

[​IMG]
    9. Fill the radiator up with 50/50 mix of coolant and distilled water.
    10. To bleed the system, allow the car warm up to operating temperature with the radiator cap off to allow air bubbles to escape. Shut the car off and refill will coolant and replace the cap.

For more information on this product and any other Mishimoto products, please visit www.mishimoto.com

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2012
  2. JohnS.

JohnS. BANGARANG Registered VIP Registered OG 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

Great write-up :thumbs up.

Might sound silly but do these type of radiators help at all with stock motors (particularly a D-Series)? Or would it be the same as just buying any radiator? Just curious that's all.

3. Goodmayn

Goodmayn New Member 5+ Year Member

Nice write up! Now replace that haggard air filter! =)

4. Jay Jay

Jay Jay Administrator Staff Member Registered VIP Registered OG Premium 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

Haha, nice catch. That is next on the list ;)

5. Lonestar

Lonestar Honda Driver 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

Does anyone know off the top of their head the fan size for a 6th gen? If I swapped my rad with this one, I'd like to do the fan too.

By the way, nice write-up.

6. 92h22eg

92h22eg New Member Registered VIP 5+ Year Member

you should be fine with a 12" fan

7. Jay Jay

Yup, I'm using a 12" slim fan on mine.

8. CivicMafia

CivicMafia New Member 5+ Year Member

Actually, im 99.9% sure you want to fill it up cold, or while its running, Dont let it warm up. Unless you really feel like taking a risk of replacing your block

9. Alberto521

Alberto521 Just call me Alberto Registered VIP 5+ Year Member

Great write up, but as Amej8 said....
    "Might sound silly but do these type of radiators help at all with stock motors (particularly a D-Series)? Or would it be the same as just buying any radiator? Just curious that's all."

Because i got a DX, and i think my radiator is going bad...

10. jon julian

jon julian New Member Registered VIP 5+ Year Member

i just installed my fullsize mushi in my DC2....damn it looks blingin...makes bay look more appealing...

since im not running a slim fan, i had to trim a little bit plastic off my stock fan so it wouldnt melt on my header and a simple 3 or 4mm notch for the upper rad hose...i did it with a knife in couple min, nothing to sweat though..... only thing was once i started the car it started pissin a lil stream out of the fluid release nut inbetween the rubber gasket....but nothing that lil teflon tape couldnt fix.

so it works the way it should and fits like a glove. im happy with it.

11. NFR_AP2

NFR_AP2 New Member Registered VIP Registered OG 5+ Year Member

just installed this rad in my EK a few days ago...fits perfect. no complaints on my end!

12. mattman3

mattman3 got rice? 5+ Year Member

can i take my stock radiator fan off my stock radiator and put it on the mishimoto one or do i have to get a different fan?

13. Jay Jay

The stock fan will bolt up to the Mishimoto radiator. I assume you have a 92-00 civic? I also just pm'd you a price on a radiator if you are looking to buy one.

- Justin

14. originalem1

originalem1 em1

I own a 2000 civic si, I wanna replace the stock rad with a mishimoto would the stock fan fit or would I have to get a slimfan

15. Jay Jay

The stock fan will fit. If you want a price on the radiator let me know.

16. Hecz

Hecz New Member Registered VIP Registered OG 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

How's the fitment between the top of the radiator and the upper radiator support? My Koyo (just like what JayJay replaced in his write up) doesn't clear the upper rad support, i had to push the radiator down as far as i could, then wedged it under neither the upper rad support.

17. originalem1

originalem1 em1

so it fits the oem hoses then?

18. Mishimoto

Mishimoto Product Manufacturer 5+ Year Member

^^ Yes, you may use your OEM hoses.

19. imfromdade15

imfromdade15 New Member 5+ Year Member

does this radiator work for a automatic transmission, summer is coming and it gets really hot and humid in miami and would like my engine to stay cool.

20. Mishimoto

Mishimoto Product Manufacturer 5+ Year Member

Yes, the radiator will work with your Automatic transmission, however, you would be required to run a transmission cooler. We actually offer those, too.

Let me know if you have any additional questions!

: official diy