Oil and oil filter question

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
make you wonder why honda would warranty their vehicles while putting on a low quality oil filter :???:

anyways, i use conventional Mobile 5000 10-W30 with a Mobile oil filter. since youre already using synthetic i suggest you continue to use it

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I run either Amsoil or Mobil-1 5w30, I tried running Mobil-1 0w30 for a while and I got about 3 more mpg on the highway. As far as the filter goes, I'm not really loyal to any one brand.

mitka

5+ Year Member
make you wonder why honda would warranty their vehicles while putting on a low quality oil filter :???
1) Probably Honda considers these filters are satisfactory enough. And they know what has been used on a car (otherwise they would need to run into trouble of certifying all these multiple filter brands and models)

2) I would not say it is bad quality, it just that I was surprised that they use cardboard end caps whereas one can get a better filter for lower price. I was disgusted cuz. my thinking was, that since I change oil myself I can afford getting supposedly the best for your Honda vehicle genuine Honda filter. Apparently I am just paying for company logo on the filter can.

Icemann

5+ Year Member
Thanks a lot for your guys' comments and opinions. Not only for me but for others as well. Ive heard a lot of good stuff about Mobil 1 wether it be oil or filter. I noticed Royal Purple mentioned, i hear good stuff about it too, compared to Castrol, Mobil 1, or Valvoline synthetics, Its pretty pricey. Whats the deal with that? Also has anyone ever used Motul?

airzi

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
jst watched that vid WTF honda sort it out. thanks estoricimage for that link.

civicbrat

5+ Year Member
I have always used Royal Purple since it came out. I even got my parents to use it on all their vehicles. Its pricey but its worth it. I have noticed over the years that i have been using it the price has come down a little but just remember you get what you pay for.

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I have always used Royal Purple since it came out. I even got my parents to use it on all their vehicles. Its pricey but its worth it. I have noticed over the years that i have been using it the price has come down a little but just remember you get what you pay for.
Bump on old thread...

And this guy isn't even an '09er, he's an '06er? Though only four posts. Strange.

"You get what you pay for" is not a general rule that applies to all situations. I find that most oils are very similar, and will not make a large difference in performance or reliability. I always buy Advance Auto Parts brand oil, because it's the cheapest. Why pay more for something practically the same?

There is a difference between crude and synthetic motor oils, but on a stock Civic the difference is rather negligible.

civicbrat

5+ Year Member
well regardless of what u say it does make a difference. Whether its stock or not there is a difference. you can't say anything unless you have tried it. from your post u said that u use the cheap stuff, well if you spend a dollar more per quart your engine will be better protected. Better quality oil has a higher boiling rate, better viscossity, does its job better(better than cheap oil) at lower temps. do your research before you start babbling like u know it all. if there was no difference then why would the pros use it and not the cheap stuff. if u look around on the net you will find that just by changing from conventional oil to anything above stock or oem oil will net you at the very least a small few hp and or a little more torque. So let me ask you, why would they make it if it was not going to do anything. Oh and by the way I don't have a wee wee like you. Look I am not trying to hijack the thread or anything, and yes I know it is an old thread, but does it really matter if and when I post? Just cause you talk a lot does not mean you know what you are talking about.

UCCRacing

No Fun
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
WHHHHHHATTTTTTTT DA f**k?!? lol that vid I saw a while ago, cracks me up everytime!

Fram SUCKS, Honda Filter SUCKS...
As far as Royal Purple Filters go, the one time I run one on my truck (03 Trailblazer) I throw a rod, does that mean it was the filter? No and probably not even close but it happened and I will not pay the extra few bucks for it as K&N or Mobil One does great.....

Stay away from Penzoil and Quaker State....

Synthetic has been shown many times to be better, stick with a good Brand IE: Castrol/Mobil One/Valvoline and you will be good to go!

Also MOST of the time I run a Purolator Pure One Filter and they work great and half the cost....

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
well regardless of what u say it does make a difference. Whether its stock or not there is a difference. you can't say anything unless you have tried it. from your post u said that u use the cheap stuff, well if you spend a dollar more per quart your engine will be better protected.
Yes I can say something without trying it, by doing research. There's no way to tell by just trying it if it's better. One can say "I ran synthetic for the lifetime of my vehicle, and the engine lasted 275,000 miles," but this is just a case example. That doesn't scientifically prove anything.

Better quality oil has a higher boiling rate, better viscossity, does its job better(better than cheap oil) at lower temps.
Why would a higher boiling point matter? Most of our engines don't ever go much above 190 or so degrees Fahrenheit, and if they do (for an extended amount of time when not racing, towing, going up a mountain, etc.) there's something wrong with them. If by better viscosity you are referring to synthetic oil's tendency to have a more consistent viscosity relative to temperature, then this is correct. But, however, unless your engine is doing an excessive amount of cold starts, or you are racing, then this difference doesn't matter too much.

do your research before you start babbling like u know it all. if there was no difference then why would the pros use it and not the cheap stuff.
I have done my research. Professional racing companies use synthetic oils because of their performance in high heat applications--they're racing. If your Civic spends 90% of it's life above 4000 RPM and WOT, then use synthetic. If it gets you daily from point A to point B, conventional oil will do just fine.

if u look around on the net you will find that just by changing from conventional oil to anything above stock or oem oil will net you at the very least a small few hp and or a little more torque.
Oh, really? I have found no conclusive evidence that supports this claim. Please point me in the correct direction.

So let me ask you, why would they make it if it was not going to do anything.
Hmm, I think I'm going to go buy a velocity stack for my Civic... If you catch my drift, this is not a valid argument. The reason they make it is to sell it. If it sells, it doesn't matter if it does anything or not. I'm not saying that this is true for synthetic oil, but that the argument is invalid.

Oh and by the way I don't have a wee wee like you.
?

Look I am not trying to hijack the thread or anything, and yes I know it is an old thread, but does it really matter if and when I post?
It's not so bad because this wasn't really a time-dependent thread. But in general, unless someone brings new information or a question to a thread, it's not very respected around here to bring it back from the past.

Just cause you talk a lot does not mean you know what you are talking about.
My goal is to give people valid information, so that, in this case, they don't waste their money. If an excessive amount of words is required, so be it.

civicbrat

5+ Year Member
Ok why don't we just drop it. Everybody has an opinion and if you can't express it they wouldn't have forum. Am i wrong? Just to clear it up I am a Female and i haven't been posting on here much because I haven't been around or had internet. Does it really matter that i am from 06 and have only posted a few post? I don't think it does.

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Ok why don't we just drop it. Everybody has an opinion and if you can't express it they wouldn't have forum. Am i wrong? Just to clear it up I am a Female and i haven't been posting on here much because I haven't been around or had internet. Does it really matter that i am from 06 and have only posted a few post? I don't think it does.
Ok, I don't enjoy arguing that much, so we can drop it.

No, it doesn't matter that you joined in '06 and only had a few posts, I just found it strange. If it came out in an offensive way, that was not the intent, and I'm sorry for that.

Well, welcome back to CC, and I hope we can be friends. :thumbs up

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
lets just all agree that vegetable oil and a coffee filter is not the best combination