Oil change place overfilled my engine - Will it cause damage?

98civex

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'm pissed I went to one of those quick lube places and told them specifically my car 1998 Honda Civic ex takes 3.5q with a filter.

I checked a day after and the oil was a good amount above the second dot on the dipstick meaning it's well above full line

Will it cause any issues till next oil change?

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I would drain it a bit to get it within the levels. It's not bad to be slightly above the level, but too much can cause seals to go bad and can put oil in places unintended.

My local forum just recently posted this, a horror story of quick lube places:
http://jalopnik.com/lazy-idiots-at-lube-shop-cut-hole-in-audi-s4s-aero-pan-1748394648

Anyways, drain it a bit, and if you don't see any leaks or any other issues, you're probably fine. :thumbs up

dancam

Registered VIP
If its too high the crankshaft hits the oil and foams/froths it, slings it up to the cylinders and you might burn some. Just drain it to the full mark and hope for the best.
Tips: use an actual mechanic shop for oil changes, not a quick lube. Thats not as good as doing it yourself but better.
Always always check the level when their done and make sure they put a new filter on. Its common to hear stories about quick lubes not changing filters. Make sure the oil is yellow, not red... You cant tell if they used the right viscosity but thats the risk you take.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

98civex

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It's probably a half inch above the full mark when I check on a level ground

MadmaxEK

I'm pissed I went to one of those quick lube places and told them specifically my car 1998 Honda Civic ex takes 3.5q with a filter.

I checked a day after and the oil was a good amount above the second dot on the dipstick meaning it's well above full line

Will it cause any issues till next oil change?
Aside from foaming it can cause a drop in your oil pressure.

Last edited by a moderator:

98civex

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Is there anyway in knowing if foaming has occurred? Engine running hotter or something?

I've driven it for about 200 miles so far without realizing

MadmaxEK

I would take it back to where the oil was changed and make them fix it for free 200miles shouldn't be bad as long as your not doing any hard driving.

98civex

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Will do I just hate going back to places like that because they'll try telling me that it's not a problem or that more oil is better. Some bs to avoid fixing it

MadmaxEK

If it where me I would drain it myself. Just keep an eye on people like that if you go back to make sure they don't mess with anything else.

98civex

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yeah. Should I drain at the plug or use syringe and hose through dipstick?

MadmaxEK

At the plug if it were me its messy that way but much faster. Or drain all of the oil and pour it back in the top. But if your go that route make sure you put a coffee filter or something similar in the funnel so you don't get any unwanted stuff in there.

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
the trick i used to do is rubber band a cloth on top of the funnel with the funnel in the oil bottle. the cloth will keep the debris separate from the oil as the oil passes through. also that way you can see how much more oil was put in and you can put the right amount back your self.

98civex

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I went back to the place and he said my dipstick must be broken because he put in 3quarts. My car calls for 3.5 so idk how that's possible it's showing an overfill?

He also refused to drain some. I checked right after driving and I don't see any bubbles indicating frothing so I might just leave it

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
I went back to the place and he said my dipstick must be broken because he put in 3quarts. My car calls for 3.5 so idk how that's possible it's showing an overfill?

He also refused to drain some. I checked right after driving and I don't see any bubbles indicating frothing so I might just leave it
just to comfirm with what he said. all tho from the picture i'm sure there is nothing wrong with the dipstick. i would drain it just a little bit to see.... sounds like he didn't want to admit he made a rookie mistake, but idk why he refused to drain some.