Oil Change suggestions

davidgossett

Hi all I am new here. My Wife and I just receved a 2001 Civic as a gift from me wifes parants. The car has 166000 miles on and new trans. runs great. I need to do a oil change on it. I have all ways used Valvaline High mile. What is the best Grade of oil to put in it? And how much do I put in it,? Know book or papers on it..Can some one help me? I look forward to asking a lot of info form ya"ll. Thanks agin
David

sleeper si

Registered VIP
4 quarts and check the level on the dipstick?

lowlife9

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
it was designed for 5w20 so use 5w20 you can also use 0w20 if you want according to honda. i personally use Mobile1 synthetic high mileage 5w20.

davidgossett

Oil Brand

My 2001 has 166000 on it . it is new to me. I need to change the oil. I was thinking of going to Synthetic oil. But all the brands confuse me I was looking at Superteck al Walmart a lot cheaper is this good ? And how about the filter I heard on the net that fram is no good is this true? If so what is a good filter for a good price? Thanks
David

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You get what you pay for. Don't worry about the price a whole lot. Just go for something quality and reputable.

I use Castrol GTX synthetic. Always have, never had a problem. But I haven't had a car longer than two years so there's that. I'm sure someone with a ridiculous amount of miles on their car will chime in soon :lol:

Juanito8

Mobil 1 is a good choice. Alot of top model cars instruct to use it, such as Mercedes and Corvettes

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
:thumbs upMerged threads. You already had one going about an oil change no need for a second one.

As far as brand I would stick with the name brands. Most say oil is oil, but there is more to it than that.

Castrol, Mobile 1, Amsoil, Shell/Rotella, Kendall are all good brands.

Filters I would stick with Honda. If you absolutely need aftermarket for some reason a Wix, bosch, or Baldwin would be my only other choices. Honda ones are cheap, just swing by the dealer and pick one up. You change the oil, what 3500-5000 miles? Whats a couple bucks to get a filter that is known to work with the car it was made for and is used from the factory to begin with?

lowlife9

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
around this time of year pepboys,napa,advanced auto parts basically all parts stores have oil change kits on sale i just got 5 quarts mobil1 synthetic and mobil1 filter for 34 bucks.

davidgossett

Thanks for all the help, ya'll have been fast and have good addvice. Thanks .
David
Sorry about the new post mix up.

Frenchyaz

I use 5w20 Mobil 1 Synthetic on my Civic LX Coupe (2001, 188k). You need 3.7 quarts, not 4. Overfilling can make the oil foam and foam is not a lubricant, your engine can seize.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
@Frenchyaz , I hope you realize this is a 2 year old and inactive thread. It might not be a bad idea to revive it though. I use 5w20 Mobil1 High-mileage Synthetic as you should too as it contains some additives that were removed from engine oil formulation sometime in the mid 2000s.

Frenchyaz

@Frenchyaz , I hope you realize this is a 2 year old and inactive thread. It might not be a bad idea to revive it though. I use 5w20 Mobil1 High-mileage Synthetic as you should too as it contains some additives that were removed from engine oil formulation sometime in the mid 2000s.
I know that is a old thread, but that makes it an archive now;o)
I don't use high millage because the engine is clean and not leaking. Also I don't consider high millage below 300,000 miles but this is just me.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I don't use high millage because the engine is clean and not leaking. Also I don't consider high millage below 300,000 miles but this is just me.
Again, its actually not about the mileage but the oil it was designed for back then being formulated differently than todays oil. You can research it, I dont feel like finding right now.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Industry standards say that anything over 75,000 miles is considered high mileage. It has to do with wear on internal moving parts, not weather you (or any of us for that matter) agree with the facts or not. :thumbs up