Oil Change?

SacrificeTheory

5+ Year Member
When I went to the dealership to get my car, they said that I don't need an oil change until every 5,000 miles. Usually, you should get it done every 3,000 miles. Well, I hit the 3,000 mark, but I'm not sure if I should go in to get it changed yet, or wait till 5,000. I'm getting mixed feelings from different people. According to the car, I have 70% oil life. When did you guys get yours changed?

LowNotSlow

Aqua Teen Christmas Force
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
SacrificeTheory said:
When I went to the dealership to get my car, they said that I don't need an oil change until every 5,000 miles. Usually, you should get it done every 3,000 miles. Well, I hit the 3,000 mark, but I'm not sure if I should go in to get it changed yet, or wait till 5,000. I'm getting mixed feelings from different people. According to the car, I have 70% oil life. When did you guys get yours changed?
Do what they tell you. Every 5000 miles. The 3000 mile rule has been around forever and came around when oil wasn't what it is today. Our oil today is refined better and longerlasting, and our engines are better designed. Every 5000 miles it is.

Besides, why would a dealership tell you to wait when they could gouge you for an oil change unless it's true?

motorbreath

5+ Year Member
I go with what my car tells me. The dealer said to come in when it got down to about 15% life left. Personally I think I'm only going as low as 20% just to be safe. But I passed 3,000 miles about 70 miles ago and I still have 60% left.

NoBoost

138,000 Mi. EM1
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
how the hell do you know the percentage of protection of your engine oil?

Revolver

Oct 10th
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
NoBoost said:
how the hell do you know the percentage of protection of your engine oil?
You don't. Unless you get it analyzed it’s just a lousy guess. There are a shitload of factors that determine how long a motor oil will provide adequate protection.

Matt.

Banned
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
actually... the 2001-2005 civic and I'm sure the new civics say right in the manual that oil should be changed every 8000 miles, but honda techs and most people who know honda's will tell you never to go over 5000 miles.

j_fukin_t

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i change mine every 5k & the stuff still comes out pretty clean which means i could prob go longer but i choose not to, now on a motorcycle i only change it maybe once a season (amsoil ain't cheap) lol

NoBoost

138,000 Mi. EM1
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
damn on my em1 i change it every 3k. not one mile longer

MR99si

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
j_fukin_t said:
i change mine every 5k & the stuff still comes out pretty clean which means i could prob go longer but i choose not to, now on a motorcycle i only change it maybe once a season (amsoil ain't cheap) lol
Same here every 5K, I have done several oil analysis tests on my engine and the oil is still fine after 5k! >` BTW vtec engines love cheap chevron supreme and especially havoline cause they have a shitload of moly. I run havoline in my si and the wear #'s are next to nothing really can't get any better.

Get one of these oil sample kit's: http://www.blackstone-labs.com/index.html

Then post the results here http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=forum;f=3 they will tell you how well your oil is holding up!

Declectic

SeanJohn1802
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Revolver said:
You don't. Unless you get it analyzed it’s just a lousy guess. There are a shitload of factors that determine how long a motor oil will provide adequate protection.
the newer civic's have oil life on them (pretty much the same thing you'd see in like GMC Yukons and s**t like that)

Yeah man.. and i agree on point with what LowNotSlow says... Thats how I run with my FG1. I get mine done at the dealer (so I can keep records) and I also have that sticker they leave, so I just go with that or my oil percent