Oil Filter is Tight, any suggestions

Shaguar47

EM1 ADCT
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I had a local shop do my last oil change and they tightened up the filter just a little too much. It's a mobil filter and there is no grip stuff on it so what methods are there on getting one loose?

aaren99

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you can use a small strap wrench, or you can just look in the oil dept of autozone or walmart and they have tools to remove oil filters there. Once i had to puncture the oil filter with a screwdriver and use the screwdriver to turn the oil filter but that would be hard on a honda.

Shaguar47

EM1 ADCT
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'll stop by autozone and see what they got. Thanks

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
aaren99 said:
Once i had to puncture the oil filter with a screwdriver and use the screwdriver to turn the oil filter but that would be hard on a honda.
messy but its the one thing that will work just abotu every time..

spook4thecia

Who Dat
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yeah man I had the same problem last change. let the filter go another change and I'm doin it tomorrow. just bought my solution @ pepboys but autozone's got it too. they are sockets that fit different sizes of filters that go on like a 1/2" driver. that oughta give u the torque u need;)

chestercivic

**Former** ED3, DA9 owner
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I use an oil filter wrench. It looks like a big pair of pliers with grooves on it.

1337 | RCE

teh broke enthusiast
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
i used a strap wrench once. it was tough to get it in there right, but it worked eventually.

tnk

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
my friend didnt have a oil filter wrench one time so we had to get ghetto, we got a sheet of sand paper, wrapped it around the filter to get grip and twist like hell. it took 3 of us to twist that bish off.

sohclubkid

Sick 6/6
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i use a leather belt... it works well most of the time.

j_fukin_t

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
oc_civic said:
messy but its the one thing that will work just abotu every time..
:werd: i've had to do that cause i was the only one there when doing so i couldn't just go get a wrench, but they do make oil filter adapters that will simply go on the end of a ratchet, & for the record honda can kiss my ass on the location of their oil filters ;)

nitebeest

5+ Year Member
Last time I was doing an oil change on my friends Accord we had the same problem with the shop filter. He didn't have anything to grip it with so I just used a shop towel to wipe off as much oil from my hands and kept trying to twist and twist for a good 20 minutes. Finally came off. It's things like that that make an oil change feel like a big job.