Oil leak on flywheel cover (replaced oil pan and Rear main seal)

dth0ng69

5+ Year Member
Okay So I have a 1998 ek, with a d16y7 and had oil come out of the flywheel cover, so I replaced the Oil Pan gasket and Rear main seal which are the possible leaks that comes out of the hole on the engine stiffner. after the rear main seal was put in about 2 weeks later, there is oil again...
A guy on clubcivic says
If your transmission is a manual one, then the black is clutch residue.
It builds up a lot inside the clutch housing.

If your rear main seal is leaking, it's usually a sign the main bearings are worn.
If you replace the seal and not the bearings, 99% of the time the new seal
will start leaking within several weeks. the worn bearings allow the crank to
move and that's what wears the seal out.
Trust me, I learned that the hard way, after replacing one 3 times.:cool:
Is the bearings a main problem for d16y7 main rear seals going out? and how much do bearings cost? I hope its not too hard of a job :(

But any help suggestions tip feedback would be great, Im really stuck on what to do.
thanks for reading.

PhntmSk8r

H23VTEC
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Bears are relatively cheap, the job isn't HARD but requires a torque wrench, torque specs, and some decent knowledge.

You CAN do main bearings from the bottom (without pulling the motor), but it is a little more awkward, and the tranny and such still has to be dropped out, and the clutch/flywheel will have to come off.

dth0ng69

5+ Year Member
I see alot that people on critize the d16y7 for spinning rod bearings or was it main bearings? does anyone here have a d16y7 or d16y8 and have experience rear main seal leaking after it being replaced?

also Does anyone have a diagram of the bearings because Im still confused wether its the main bearings or rod bearings that causes the rear main seal to leak? I also heard that d16y7 oil pumps are really good and is also a reason why the rear main seal goes out.

any help tips would be great thanks for reading

dth0ng69

5+ Year Member
How can you tell if you spun a rod bearing, I mean I don't hear any weird sounds the only reason I think i might spun a bearing is that I just replaced the rear main seal 2 weeks ago, and it just started leaking again..
What other factors can it be to make the rear main seal go? oil pump?

PhntmSk8r

H23VTEC
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Rod bearings would not effect your rear main.

Main bearings will as it will allow the crank to 'walk' in the girdle, thus creating abnormal wear on the crank journals, and bearings.

You would know if you spun a bearing, it would be making a racket from hell. You can have WORN bearings as well, which is likely what could be causing your issue. The chances of you having a spun bearing are slim/none of it's not making a racket.

dth0ng69

5+ Year Member
Rod bearings would not effect your rear main.

Main bearings will as it will allow the crank to 'walk' in the girdle, thus creating abnormal wear on the crank journals, and bearings.

You would know if you spun a bearing, it would be making a racket from hell. You can have WORN bearings as well, which is likely what could be causing your issue. The chances of you having a spun bearing are slim/none of it's not making a racket.
hey Phntmsk8r, thanks so much for the reply and help so far. Yeah I'm pretty sure I don't have a spun bearing, because I don't hear any abnormal sounds.
So you think I have worn main bearings? Is that why my rear main seal leaked again after 2 weeks of replacement? Do you know how much main bearings to replace?

boosted_crx

5+ Year Member
first off did you do the job right. Just because you replace the rear main and oil pan gasket dont mean its all good. Espcially if you put felpro products which are pretty descent. I never use felpro rear mains you gotta stick wit honda ones. and unles you put some kind of tacky compound to hold the rear main in its gon leak again. i would make sure its not the tranny leaking casue there do leak from a main seal on the shaft inside the transmission and flow outwards.

thadoggma

Sam
5+ Year Member
yeah, if your car blew the rod bearings you would know it, i let a friend drive my ek once, and neddless to say, i told him if he broke anything, to just help me fix it... should have knocked on wood, about 5 mins into it, i hear boom klack ka klack ka klack. threw a rod bearing. you will notice when a rod bearing goes, as the rod will go shortly after.

its either the rear main on the engine, or the input shaft seal on the transmission...

did you check the seal area on the crank for wear when you changed the seal? if its extremely worn, a new gasket can leak even worse than a worn gasket would. you can order undersize seals if thats the case.

dth0ng69

5+ Year Member
Okay So Im sure I don't have spun rod bearing because you can obviously hear it, and rod bearings have nothing to do with the rear main seal. A honda tech told me you can hear if the main bearings are worn also..
I just don't know what it could be? because it took like 2 weeks for the leak to appear again.
I know alot of you guys say that the rear main seal could of easily be replaced wrong, or improperly and that very well could be true. But the fact that a guy on club civic said 99% of the time that rear main seal leak is because the main bearings are allowing the crank to move around and move the seal out of allignment.
If that was the case wouldn't I hear weird knocking noises coming from the engine or is that only if the rod bearings are worn?
anyways thanks soooo much for the help and feedback so far you guys are alot of help.

RonJ

Banned
Why are you completely focused on the rear main seal? Do you really know that the new leak is coming from the rear main seal? How do you know the oil pan gasket isn't leaking or something else in the upper part of the engine, such as the distributor or valve cover?

haftahonda

5+ Year Member
i was gonna say, sounds like you need to look at a couple diagrams of engines, and do a little studying on how a crankshaft is held in and how it operates, understanding a system is the only way to visualize it. dont overlook excess crankcase pressure causing a leak ie, pcv system plugged? or the dist o ring dripping down through the bell housing. you can use oil dye and a uv lite to trace the oil leak too. you also might have scratched the crankshaft when you did the rear seal. this happens a lot to rookies or do it yourselfers.

dth0ng69

5+ Year Member
i was gonna say, sounds like you need to look at a couple diagrams of engines, and do a little studying on how a crankshaft is held in and how it operates, understanding a system is the only way to visualize it. dont overlook excess crankcase pressure causing a leak ie, pcv system plugged? or the dist o ring dripping down through the bell housing. you can use oil dye and a uv lite to trace the oil leak too. you also might have scratched the crankshaft when you did the rear seal. this happens a lot to rookies or do it yourselfers.
Yeah I do need to learn more about how it works, I mean when I first bought the car it has a plugged pcv valve but i replaced that, and a honda tech said that a plugged pcv valve shouldn't cause a leak, plus i changed th pcv valve before replacing the rear main seal.
I'm pretty sure it is the rear main seal (even though I hope its not) and I did't do the rear main seal a shop did it.