oil leaking from around valve cover..okay to use silicone sealant?

victor.m

5+ Year Member
Well, my valve cover is leaking oil around it..pretty sure this was from swapping it about a month back. I didn't properly torque the bolts so I'm about to get a torque wrench and do that now. Would it be okay to use silicone sealant around the cover in order to make sure there are no leaks?

spidey

spidey
5+ Year Member
I had the same thing happen to me when i put a new valve cover gasket on my D15b7. I torqued the valve cover bolts down to much and the oil ooozed out. Make sure that all mating surfaces are clean before installing the new gasket and check the torque specs (10lbs should be enough).:cool:

Last edited:

spidey

spidey
5+ Year Member
I had the same thing happen to me when i put a new valve cover gasket on my D15b7. I torqued the valve cover bolts down to much and the oil ooozed out. Make sure that all mating surfaces are clean before installing the new gasket . Rubber gaskets do not need any sealant, just the right amount of torque (10lbs -not much more than that). Good luck :cool:

SuperSize

japanese muscle
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
go buy a new gasket, and some Honda bond. you want to put the Honda bond around all four corners of the valve cover wait for a few minutes for it to set then put the valve cover on and torque the bolts down to 7 ft lbs

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I could be wrong but I thought it was supposed to be 8.6lbs, just check before you do it.

victor.m

5+ Year Member
I'll check for sure but I think the manual says 7 ft lbs, but thanks guys. Where can I get Honda bond? I was at the dealer yesterday and the guy didn't say anything about it. I did get a new new gasket set, though, with all the valve rings, screw grommets, and valve cover gasket.

Thanks!

victor.m

5+ Year Member
Well I'll find out on saturday and let you know if it did. Hopefully it does,especially if I get the Honda bond, don't see why it'd keep on leaking.

Thanks guys

victor.m

5+ Year Member
Alright, all new seals, grommets, gasket and bolts properly torqued. Let's see if this baby leaks now! Finally have my car back. Sure feels weird being in a Civic again after having spent a whole day in a 4h gen Prelude with an H22.

MajEK

Cry Some More
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Parts stores sell liquid gasket for pretty cheap. I just put it all around the gasket on my wifes car after breaking a cover bolt off(threaded portion)... No leaks whatsoever missing one cover bolt.

Get a torque wrench! It will save you $$$. I will never trust hand tightening again.

PSiGUN

5+ Year Member
Parts stores sell liquid gasket for pretty cheap. I just put it all around the gasket on my wifes car after breaking a cover bolt off(threaded portion)... No leaks whatsoever missing one cover bolt.
Honda bond is better, local store (Pep boys/ Autozone/ AAP) liquid gasket sucks big time.

MajEK

Cry Some More
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Honda bond is better, local store (Pep boys/ Autozone/ AAP) liquid gasket sucks big time.
It lasts longer or something? This autozone stuff did the job and I didnt have to go down to the dealership to get it.