oil leaking in d16y8

blue.ex

my 98 civic is leaking oil down aside the transmission... i was told it was the vtec solenoid gasket so i replace it but still leaks i got new dizzy o ring but it still leaks i been cleaning the engine with decreaser to see if i can find the leak but i just can't get to it can anyone help?:twisted::twisted::???::???::???::???::???::???::???::???:

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
Both of those things you can clearly see. Why do you have to be told they're leaking? If they are, you can't miss it. If you think it's leaking from that general area, the only thing left to change is the valve cover gasket (assuming you actually changed the other two things correctly). Come on man! Clean it up, wait for leak, then bingo... Fix it.

Failsafe88

gt CasaNova
Registered VIP
Take it to car was get some degreaser spray it all down clean it up then keep really careful watch and see where it's leaking from

takeachance

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
sounds like rear main perhaps

emerican

Registered VIP
Agree with the aboves as long as the thing you replaced you did correctly then clean all of it off and wait to see where it leaks from

98ej8

I LOVE MY GIRLFRIEND
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Check the valve cover gasket first, it's like the easiest thing to replace and it's not expensive at all.

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
guys, I know EXACTLY what he means. My new car is doing the same thing. It's a mess, looks like clean oil on front passenger corner of the block/transmission area, near the distributor. I changed the filter/screen of my vtec solenoid, as well as changing the distributor oring, then cleaned off the block. Drove for a few days, checked again, and still leaking. Even after cleaning it off, not really clear where it's leaking from, so just changing gaskets in that general eara, till I finally get it to stop.

It doesn't seem to be leaking from the valve cover, so it might be ANOTHER gasket in the vtec solenoid (think there might be one between the 2 halves?)

Blue, did you ever figure out what it was? I'm going to try taking apart my solenoid, and see if there are other gaskets/orings to change, as well as change my valve cover gasket, just in case. And of course, the oilpan gasket leaking as well. (as if I didn't have enough issues to fix)