Oil Pressure Gauge

TribalTatz

5+ Year Member
I recently bought a 2000 Si that has about 53k miles. It is completely stock at the moment but I have ordered DC Sport Headers, AEM Intake, Skunk2 Exhaust, Skunk2 Short Shifter, Type R Pedals & a few other things. My question is, how hard would it be to install an oil pressure gauge? I have very little "mechanical" experience but I plan on learning a lot with this car & try to do the majority of the work myself. Everything I am reading says that oil pressure is SOOO important for VTEC so I want to be able to monitor it. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Oh, by the way, this is my 1st Honda & I am in love.

xxsenceo89x

aka superman
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
theres already a sensor for oil. no oil=no vtak.

bump for real info

Matt.

Banned
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
electric gauge is wayyyy better then manual. Make sure you get electric, you don't want oil coming in your cabin

TribalTatz

5+ Year Member
xxsenceo89x said:
theres already a sensor for oil. no oil=no vtak.

bump for real info
Wow, great answer. I can already see how helpful this forum is going to be.

Matt.

Banned
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
its not always like that man, we normally like to help people out. We do our best. He was just saying an oil pressure gauge isn't completely necessary cause its stock, no upgraded internals or major mods.

TribalTatz

5+ Year Member
Blahman240 said:
its not always like that man, we normally like to help people out. We do our best. He was just saying an oil pressure gauge isn't completely necessary cause its stock, no upgraded internals or major mods.
I understand that there is already a oil pressure "sensor" but everything I have been reading says the 2000 Si goes through oil a lot quicker than most other cars. Since oil pressure is so important to VTEC, I figured an oil pressure "gauge" would be an easy way to keep an eye on it. I was just wondering if it is an easy installation and if anyone may have some instructions/suggestions/pointers on puting one in.

Matt.

Banned
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
its easy if you have an easy way to set up it. Like a sandwich plate, or the fitting stealthmode sells.

vandynamics

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
TribalTatz said:
I understand that there is already a oil pressure "sensor" but everything I have been reading says the 2000 Si goes through oil a lot quicker than most other cars. Since oil pressure is so important to VTEC, I figured an oil pressure "gauge" would be an easy way to keep an eye on it. I was just wondering if it is an easy installation and if anyone may have some instructions/suggestions/pointers on puting one in.
oil pressure and oil capacity are two different things.

oil pressure requires capacity so by the time you realize your out of oil via oil pressure gauge method, your already f**ked.

someone in this thread commented that electrical oil pressure gauges are the way to go. so wrong in my opinion. with the mechanical oil pressure gauge you get a more accurate reading more quickly and at a fraction of the price of those electrical gizmo's

when it comes to the install of a gauge (mechanical) its not too bad but can be a little frustrating if your determined to do it properly. what you need to do is get some stainless line and a (i think -8an fitting) and basically tap into the oil orifice where your pressure sensor is.

you run that line with an ample amount of slack (for motor torque and vibration) to a t fitting that you can easily zip tie or mount onto the firewall. within the T fitting, you add the pressure sensor and the oil pressure gauge line.

i use this setup on motors that dont have a sandwich adapter. in my opinion sandwhich adapters are a gift from the gods. not only do they leave less room for error, but they make it easier to access the oil filter when i do oil changes.

actual purpose of an oil pressure gauge? well obviously to see oil pressure. the key thing to note here is when your revving a motor high, or boosting lots you want to keep an eye on your oil pressure for consistency. a decrease in oil pressure over time imply's that your conrod bearings are going bad. if you can catch this before the motor spins you can definatly save your investment.

for the first two months of break in for my motor i kept a notepad in my glovebox and recorded warm oil temp pressure at idle and at 3 grand and then at 5 grand.

this is the purpose i have an oil pressure gauge. it helps you determine whether or not your bearings are playing by the rules.

NFR_AP2

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
vandynamics said:

oil pressure requires capacity so by the time you realize your out of oil via oil pressure gauge method, your already f**ked.

someone in this thread commented that electrical oil pressure gauges are the way to go. so wrong in my opinion. with the mechanical oil pressure gauge you get a more accurate reading more quickly and at a fraction of the price of those electrical gizmo's

when it comes to the install of a gauge (mechanical) its not too bad but can be a little frustrating if your determined to do it properly. what you need to do is get some stainless line and a (i think -8an fitting) and basically tap into the oil orifice where your pressure sensor is.

you run that line with an ample amount of slack (for motor torque and vibration) to a t fitting that you can easily zip tie or mount onto the firewall. within the T fitting, you add the pressure sensor and the oil pressure gauge line.

i use this setup on motors that dont have a sandwich adapter. in my opinion sandwhich adapters are a gift from the gods. not only do they leave less room for error, but they make it easier to access the oil filter when i do oil changes.

actual purpose of an oil pressure gauge? well obviously to see oil pressure. the key thing to note here is when your revving a motor high, or boosting lots you want to keep an eye on your oil pressure for consistency. a decrease in oil pressure over time imply's that your conrod bearings are going bad. if you can catch this before the motor spins you can definatly save your investment.

for the first two months of break in for my motor i kept a notepad in my glovebox and recorded warm oil temp pressure at idle and at 3 grand and then at 5 grand.

this is the purpose i have an oil pressure gauge. it helps you determine whether or not your bearings are playing by the rules.
now thats some good info right there...

TribalTatz

5+ Year Member
vandynamics said:

Thanks a lot, that was really helpful. I did recently purchase an electric set up on Ebay (w/ sender unit) for fairly cheap so if it does not work like I hoped, no big deal. I will let you guys know how the install goes & if it was even worth it. Thanks again for the help!

vandynamics

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
TribalTatz said:
Thanks a lot, that was really helpful. I did recently purchase an electric set up on Ebay (w/ sender unit) for fairly cheap so if it does not work like I hoped, no big deal. I will let you guys know how the install goes & if it was even worth it. Thanks again for the help!
there are some benefits to the electrical system. but you will notice there will be some latency in the actual reporting of the pressure.

EGlude Attitude

All Motor Militia
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
TribalTatz said:
I recently bought a 2000 Si that has about 53k miles. It is completely stock at the moment but I have ordered DC Sport Headers, AEM Intake, Skunk2 Exhaust, Skunk2 Short Shifter, Type R Pedals & a few other things. My question is, how hard would it be to install an oil pressure gauge? I have very little "mechanical" experience but I plan on learning a lot with this car & try to do the majority of the work myself. Everything I am reading says that oil pressure is SOOO important for VTEC so I want to be able to monitor it. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Oh, by the way, this is my 1st Honda & I am in love.

Ok, for a straight answer to your question...

Mechanical Oil Pressure gauge is not hard to install. You need a oil feed T-fitting, for example TunerToys.com sells a nice one. Make sure it's BSPT and not NPT since Honda oil pressure sending units are not NPT, locate it on the back of your engine block, remove it, thread in oil feed T-fitting, then the sending unit in the back of it. Install 1/8" NPT fitting into the oil feed T-fitting, assemble to the to run to the gauge. Wrap all fittings in teflon tape. Pretty straight forward.

vandynamics

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
EGlude Attitude said:
Ok, for a straight answer to your question...

Mechanical Oil Pressure gauge is not hard to install. You need a oil feed T-fitting, for example TunerToys.com sells a nice one. Make sure it's BSPT and not NPT since Honda oil pressure sending units are not NPT, locate it on the back of your engine block, remove it, thread in oil feed T-fitting, then the sending unit in the back of it. Install 1/8" NPT fitting into the oil feed T-fitting, assemble to the to run to the gauge. Wrap all fittings in teflon tape. Pretty straight forward.
horrible idea. unless you want to do excessive damage to the block when the vibrations and the excess weight of the assembly cracks your block and youll enjoy the chronic oil leak

got traction

i rock the sohc
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
vandynamics said:
horrible idea. unless you want to do excessive damage to the block when the vibrations and the excess weight of the assembly cracks your block and youll enjoy the chronic oil leak
how is that going to crack your block?? mine is fine, i have a t fitting from the back of my block for my oil pressure guage and the feedline for my turbo

got traction

i rock the sohc
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
im pretty sure that my brass t dosent weigh that much. not only that, but i dont have a sending unit attached to the back of it

PhntmSk8r

H23VTEC
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
vandynamics said:
:word:

my electrical gauge was cake to install. For some reason it cuts out and just bounces back to a steady 50psi after like 4000rpm, i just havent taken the time to diagnose the problem.

Oh and this BSPT (British Standard Pipe Thread) stuff is BS. NPT (National Pipe Thread) is what you need it threads fine, its what i used, and its what everyone i know locally uses with no problems, teflon tape is your friend to help seal everything of course. Plus, think about it... why the hell would there be British thread on a Japanese motor? Doesnt make sense IMO.