Oily leakage from left side of motor.

OhD16

I have a 96 Civic D16y8, and it is leaving a small spot on the ground below the left side of the motor. It has an oily synthetic oil type of texture. Is there anything on the left side that could leak oil?

chromal

5+ Year Member
I have a 96 Civic D16y8, and it is leaving a small spot on the ground below the left side of the motor. It has an oily synthetic oil type of texture. Is there anything on the left side that could leak oil?
There are lots of spots all along the engine that could leak. Usual suspects include the oil pan gasket and valve cover gasket, main seals, camshaft seals. Could be the transmission, except that's on the right side of the car.

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Wipe any visible oil from the engine to pinpoint the leak. Then go from there
^ This.

Clean all the oil from under the hood and then keep a close eye on it over the next few days to see where it's coming from. Also, left and right side depends on if you're sitting in the car, or looking at it from the front. I'm assuming looking towards the front. The transmission is to the very left, so if it's leaking around where the transmission meets the engine, then likely culprits are vtec solenoid gasket, distributor o-ring, and/ or valve cover gasket.

OhD16

The only visable moisture coming from the car is a cover on the left side of the engine block. My knowledge on Honda motors is limited. The engine oil is full as is the coolant/radiator water. So I'm not sure what this leak is coming from. The engine is dry up top, just this small spot on that cover.

Potpot246

the oil could be coming from the crank shaft seal or possibly the axle seal depending on how low the oil is on the motor, like the above people said hose it and wipe it off and see where oil starts to form over night. Might be as simple as the oil pan gasket

Cherry25

Oil squirting from car

I opened the hood of my 1995 honda civic and noticed that oil was everywhere. It's coming from the passenger side of the car. somebody please tell me what's going on!