OK to mix synthetic oil with petrolium based oil?

Anarchi

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hey is it ok to mix Synthetic oil with natural/petrolium oil?
My mechanic says he does it all the time with no problems, what do you think?

The Synthetic is: Mobil1 5w50
The Natural is: Castrol Magnetic 10w40

(Both oils work fine on their own)

Steven.

Formally Green 91
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yeah you can mix them, but you relly shouldnet, should stick to one

michigan_soler

King of Mid-west
5+ Year Member
a 50/50 mix i heard was that synthetic blend that they have but if you go full synthetic, don't go back.

Anarchi

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ok thanks.

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Usually you can. But why would you?

You are pretty much second guessing the petrochemical engineers that formulated the oils.

I think you'll come up with an odd viscosity of like 7.5W45. And who knows how long it'll stay in grade like that?

Oh yeah, all multi-vis motor oils are semi-synthetic. Not a 50/50 mix, but they are partially synthetic

I don't know what Castrol Magnetic is. If it is graphite based, you may end up with a crankcase full of black cottage cheese. :shock: (USA...:roll: it's tough to get Motul or Bel-Ray here. God knows what else we miss out on)

caddy

I found Waldo
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Synthetic isn't really synthetic, it's actually just extremely refined petroleum based

Anarchi

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The reason is because I have a bit left over of each oil and rather than buying new oil, Id rather topup using whats left over.

I did it anyway and have had no problems, in fact the car is running a bit smoother - but thats usually the case anyway when adding new oil.

At the moment its 80% Mobil1, and 20% Castrol which should be fine, but I will avoid mixing in the future.

eg6_310

5+ Year Member
caddy said:
Synthetic isn't really synthetic, it's actually just extremely refined petroleum based
All synthetic oils use conventional a petroleum base, but it's not just "extremely refined petroleum." As my buddies say, "you'll never break a motor on Mobil 1." I'm a believer in the same thing, using only Mobile 1 15-50 in my turbo'd cars and will probably use 10W-30 once the B16B's in the EG. Here's some information on synthetics...

Unlike traditional mineral oils that are produced by distillation and further refining of existing crude oil stock, synthetic lubricants are made through chemical reactions. These new oils aren’t synthetic or artificial in the sense that they’re manufactured out of whole cloth--they still have the same natural ingredients found in "real" oil. But in a synthetic lubricant, these ingredients are recombined like a Lego set to yield synthesized-hydrocarbon molecular chains with desirable characteristics and uniformity not found in even the highest-quality traditional motor oils. Typically, the best synthetic oils use a combination of up to three different synthetic base fluids--polyalphaolefin (PAO), synthetic esters, and alkylated aromatics.

Because a synthetic oil’s molecules are much more consistent in size and shape, they are better able to withstand extreme engine temperatures. By contrast, the unstable molecules in conventional oil can easily vaporize or oxidize in extreme heat. Mobil 1 synthetic is said to be capable of protecting engines "at well over 400 degrees F"; in the real world, most racers have no problem running synthetics up to 290 degrees F under prolonged use, but they get really jumpy when a conventional exceeds 270 degrees F.

Because a synthetic oil is chemically produced, there are no contaminants in the oil. By contrast, conventional oils contain small amounts of sulfur, wax, and asphaltic material that can promote detonation as well as varnish and sludge buildup. With no wax, synthetics will flow at much lower temperatures than conventional oils. In fact, synthetic oils are now available with viscosity ratings as low as 0W-30, as in Mobil 1’s new Tri-Synthetic blend or Castrol Formula SLX. These oils flow more than seven times faster than a conventional 5W-30 motor oil during initial start-up, yet at normal operating temperatures act like a regular Grade 30 oil.

caddy

I found Waldo
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Good info there. my b16 only sees mobil1