? on sub wiring and Ohm's law

OverboostSI

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Wassup CC. I have a question about wiring subwoofers and Ohm's law. I know how to wire a sub to 1,2,4 ohms but what I don't understand is, what are the differences between running subs at different ohms? So, does running subs at 1 ohm as opposed to 4 ohm make the speaker sound better? more power? Truely confused. your advice is greatly appreciated.

lolo

5+ Year Member
ok u can drop the levels it give it more power so they will hit harder,wut kind of subs r they and wut leave r they supose to run at

BlackHopeDC5

Is Black Again??? :shock:
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
v=IR

voltage= current x resistance

volts = amps x ohms

Akiahara96

back!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
more power...

but not every sub is meant to go down to one, and not every amp is one ohm stable.

DFlannery

5+ Year Member
Lower impedances generally cause amplifiers to distort more. Its usually the jump between the nominal 8-to-4 Ohms that the rise in distortion generally occurs. Low impedances that get close to being a dead short can be dangerous to amps.
One of the guys I know from the pro industry, like most of the other guys I know, worked for Maryland Sound in the 80's. One of the things this guy did was put together touring rigs for shows. Sales people from many different audio companies would bring their new products in to get MSI to purchase their products. Well, he would take their new amps, put them on the test bench and check distortion and what not, then he would put a load on the amp, run it at full swing, then short the outputs with a spoon while the sales person watched in horror as the amp would meltdown or catch on fire. Nowadays companies have nifty short circuit protection. I know its sort of a tangent, but it is an interesting story.

OverboostSI

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I have 2 10" Audiobahn Flame Q's and im powering it with an Audiobahn A8002T. Here are the specs for them.
Model: A8002T
Class A/B MOSFET Circuitry
2 - Channel
2 Ohms Stable Stereo
2 x 200 Watts RMS @ 4 Ohms
2 x 400 Watts RMS @ 2 Ohms
1 x 800 Watts RMS @ 4 Ohms
Air Intake Cooling Fan
18 dB Bass Boost
S/N Ratio: > 100 dB
Variable Subsonic Filter:
20 Hz - 50 Hz