one of the bolts holding on my wheel broke, how safe to drive with 3 lug nuts?

toplevelej

i am fresh
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
so civics you cant just hammer it out like mine :( gotta take the hub off ect :(

ej6_1021

teamStreetGeekz
5+ Year Member
i've done that onces. it's not safe to drive like that. ive tried driving it down my street. it was really dangerous. so i took it to the shop and get it fix for about 25 bucks a piece.

dwack91

5+ Year Member
its not a big deal i did it one my old eclipse back in the day and nothing happened

PhntmSk8r

H23VTEC
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I think I might have a bad wheel bearing. Do you know what it sounds like? I have this clicking and thumping noise when I drive in a constant pattern as the wheel goes around. It was really loud for a day, now its alot quieter. Also some weird creaking noise some of the time. You need special tools to take off the hub though right? The manual says use "special tools and a hydraulic press".
definatly a wheel bearings, mines doing the same and i just put new ones in less then 5 months ago... oh how i love shredding axles causing the torque on the outer not to losen and f**k my wheel bearings.

What i would do, your local mechanic should have a hydrolic press (Someone you trust to work on your car)

pull the whole spindle yourself (undo the upper/lower ball joints, axle nut, and tie rod) and take just the spindle to him to have it all pressed apart and back together. It'll save you alot of money.

Id also HIGHLY recomennd replacing ALL wheel studs while its apart, as if one broke, and the others are the same age, what may that tell you?

Better safe then sorry IMO.

Its like my philosphy on taking a transmission out.... dont do it if you dont plan to replace the clutch. Even if it LOOKS good, you really honestly have no idea when it'll go.

tonyM

caca poopoo
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
thank god i dont drive near any of you people.
it is so fuking unsafe to drive a car without the proper number of bolts in place.
any kind of wheel bend/flex can loosen other ones and then, POOF.
there goes your tire and probably your car...and the people next to you.
if it was ok to ride with 3 lugnuts, then why didnt the factory make it like that.
be safe and do it right.

watisjdm

Clit Commander
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
i mean u can ride on it just get it fixed soon, def a thing not to ride a long time on

hooked_on4

RegularFlush
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ive had 3 lugs on my left front wheel for like 4-5 months now. Havent had one problem. Sometimes I drive pretty hard.....:what:

Go head, flame away. :lol:
You drive w/three lugs pretty hard? WTF, I'm sorry that's just plain stupid, go buy a lug nut you cheap ass lol

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
You drive w/three lugs pretty hard? WTF, I'm sorry that's just plain stupid, go buy a lug nut you cheap ass lol
Dont need to buy one....... :roll:

I can get one from work for free. :lol: :lol: :lol:

PICKLED

El mero mero Aguacatero
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Goddamn, so much animosity against people driving with 3 lugs :???: You guys act as if accidents resulting from improper number of lug nuts are at an all time high :roll:

hooked_on4

RegularFlush
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member

PICKLED

El mero mero Aguacatero
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
It's just a dumb risk for a 2 dollar missing part. That's all

quick google article
http://www.zurichna.com/uug/maintenance.nsf/all/4E550A8EEF0779F7852572C6006BE33B!opendocument&changemenu=no

You act as is driving w/missing lugnuts is no big deal :roll:
I'm in no way saying it's just fine to roll around with fewer lugnuts permanently, but it's ok for this guy to drive his car to work for a day or two until he fixes the issue. To me, driving around with improperly inflated tires is a bigger deal than missing a lugnut.

hooked_on4

RegularFlush
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'm in no way saying it's just fine to roll around with fewer lugnuts permanently, but it's ok for this guy to drive his car to work for a day or two until he fixes the issue. To me, driving around with improperly inflated tires is a bigger deal than missing a lugnut.
True, there's just people stating that they've been driving like this for years, I'm just shocked at that.

Trey99EK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Didn't read everything but think about it. 3-4 tight spots, 1-4 loose spots. GIve it time for the hub to wiggle or wobble. May not happen but I would not want to be in the car when one or more of the other 3 break. Play it safe for your life and your car, get it replaced.

lownslow

5+ Year Member
my friend drove his prelude for over 2 years on 3 lugs, fryin tire and everything. i on the other hand wouldnt trust it and fix it asap.