Opinions about lowering my '06 Tacoma PreRunner!

toneekay

Rubbin on yo booty
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Now, as some of you may know, I'm thinking about DROPPING/LOWERING my '06 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner (it's a 2wd, 4dr truck with a short bed). Now I know some of you are thinking, why the hella are you going to lower a truck you're suppose to raise that sonuvagun! Well here's my story...

Everyday, I have to drive on this highway to/from work with A LOT of turns and curves. Now, some insight on these trucks... They don't come with a factory rear sway bar, so body roll is very likely to be hardcore. Off the top of my head (yes, I memorized the road) there's about 9 different turns/cruves until I reach my exit.

So what I want to do is grab this "lowering kit" which actually changes a few components dropping the truck 2" in the front and 3.5" in the rear (the ass is a lot higher, this kit brings it both at a leveled height), picking up an aftermarket f&r sway bar, and getting wider tires (stocks are worn anyways). I'm not trying to upgrade wheels or what not since it's hard to find any nice 6 lug wheels so the above mods are what I'm set on. I DO NOT OFFROAD THIS TRUCK NOR DO I HAVE THE INTENTIONS TO DO SO. I just don't want to topple over on every turn/curve I make going 70+ miles an hour.

Here's a pic of the drop; I'm not trying to get all low rider crazy or anything like that, just something sublte =)

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
I can definitely did that model Tacoma with a drop, it looks nice. I support this decision. And I hope those arent the same wheels you have....

When the f**k did you get a Tacoma??

CDubs

Registered VIP
that looks like a nice little drop, i wouldnt lift a 2wd truck either, if you lift you need to offroad and that wont work out, i think it looks good dropped...how much is that going to run you, shouldnt be too expensive

4bangincivic

sup
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
My buddy has a F150 Lariat and it's damn near impossible to flip that b***h. He's taken the hardest turns I've ever seen anyone take in a truck and he's just had the rear end slide out. If I were you I'd upgrade to some Bilsteins and drop it.

toneekay

Rubbin on yo booty
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I can definitely did that model Tacoma with a drop, it looks nice. I support this decision. And I hope those arent the same wheels you have....

When the f**k did you get a Tacoma??
It's actually my dad's truck, I'm just driving it around since I'm paying for it due to his unemployment lol.

that looks like a nice little drop, i wouldnt lift a 2wd truck either, if you lift you need to offroad and that wont work out, i think it looks good dropped...how much is that going to run you, shouldnt be too expensive
It's actually not too expensive, I can lower it, get f&r sways, and new tires for around 1000 bucks. of course I'm not going to buy it all at once lol. The lowering kit is like 400 bucks, but I'm thinking about picking up new tires first since the stockers are thin and bald as f**k.

My buddy has a F150 Lariat and it's damn near impossible to flip that b***h. He's taken the hardest turns I've ever seen anyone take in a truck and he's just had the rear end slide out. If I were you I'd upgrade to some Bilsteins and drop it.
Yea, I just want the truck to hold up pretty well against curves and turns. I would pick up some coilovers but this truck isn't something I'd really want to throw much of my money into lol.

el_betiyo

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
That's the car that eventually I want to get, a TRD Package Tacoma, but a bit lifted.
I've never liked drop trucks, but this one doesn't look that bad, looks ok.

CDubs

Registered VIP
That's the car that eventually I want to get, a TRD Package Tacoma, but a bit lifted.
some lowered trucks look like s**t, ive always loved the slammed mini trucks dragging down the highway myself, but only certain trucks can pull off the look or even lowered for that matter

toneekay 400 isnt bad at all for that, seems like a damn good deal =)

4bangincivic

sup
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
some lowered trucks look like s**t, ive always loved the slammed mini trucks dragging down the highway myself, but only certain trucks can pull off the look or even lowered for that matter

toneekay 400 isnt bad at all for that, seems like a damn good deal =)
Personally, I like lowered duallies. :D

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Even though it is 2wd, I'm usually against lowering trucks. But in this case, I can see your reasoning behind wanted to lower it.

Have you considered just getting the sway bars and tires without lowering it? Then see how it handles at that point and lower it if you have to?

Akiahara96

back!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
i say go for the drop, looks hella nice and if it's 2wd anyway... :what:

toneekay

Rubbin on yo booty
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Personally, I like lowered duallies. :D

Those are sweet, but I'm not much a big fan of subframe scrapin'... (Some of those dudes don't even have subframes lol)

Even though it is 2wd, I'm usually against lowering trucks. But in this case, I can see your reasoning behind wanted to lower it.

Have you considered just getting the sway bars and tires without lowering it? Then see how it handles at that point and lower it if you have to?
Yea, this gen Tacoma looks too nice to be an offroad beast; the first gens are raw though!

I'm planning on picking up a rear sway (It's a hassle to swap front sways, so I've decided against it), and new tires; the stockers are 245/75 and I'm thinking about going the biggest size without rubbing which is a 265/70. These things can be had under 500 bucks!

Then I'm just going to ride it out and see how it feels after that... I just wanted to lower it because I thought it looked kind of nice and kills a lot of that wheel gap lol.

Shaaaft

FNG
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
That looks gayX74343728935748209451847392. Same with Ford Lightnings. I think those look absolutely retarded. I don't care if it's fast.

Ford FTX

For some reason I think this is one of the ugliest trucks ever. Ricer truck?

The Tacoma would look good with a drop but I think it will be alright after the rear sway bar.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Holy s**t that's even worse than the Lightning...

Raabe

Hell yea I suck toes!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member