opinions needed if you know about it if not step off

2 slow

5+ Year Member
okay guys iv got a question about some motors being the h22a and the b18c1 i am presently getting ready to destroy my mini me motor head gasket is leaking into my cylinders and im not going to rebuild it im going dohc now those of you who are hard core honda fiends i want to know which motor is the most reliable when swapped in to an eg the car is a sleeper rust and all i have an eclipse that is my show car but my 92 civic is my go car ex now this season i want to get down and dirty since last season i ran a mini me i want to get the guys a sleep and make some real money i know the h22 is the honda monster and the b18c1 is the premier race engine but i dont just drive in a straight line i love the corners too and surely i love to drift which is hilarious in a ff butmy question what would your suggetion be for motor selection and im sure like last time you guys wont let me down
:lol: thx for your time
2 slow

MasterShake

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
im gonna bite my tounge for once and say go C5

jason_guy_yeah

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
what's your budget? Are you going all motor or turbo? And how far if any mods are going to be done to the motor?

RedLine42

High Speed
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
You can get a K20A2 for 4 grand. But if you want a H22 or B18 id go B18C.

stealthy

4 Doors For More Whores
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
RedLine42 said:
You can get a K20A2 for 4 grand. But if you want a H22 or B18 id go B18C.
yeah and another 3k in swap parts.

whats your goals? then i will tell you what you want to know.

5th gen hatch

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
go with gsr i heard swapping the h22 cause bad handling unless you have a good aftermarket suspension

joshb_

FB6
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
My buddy had a h22a in a eg with just some coil overs and it drove just fine. Both engines are reliable, its just finding someone that is a honest seller selling the engine. You can argue which engine is more reliable then another for hours but what it really comes down to is buying an engine with fairly low miles that has been maintained. I personally prefer a h22 and I have driven dozens of each swaps and stock for stock I like the power of the h22. Then again what do I know, I'm all about d turbos lol

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Truthfully, the H22 isn't that much heavier, but it is bulkier and you do typically have to give up more. (P/S, A/C)and then theres that 20 or so ftlbs of torque at a lower rpm.

Torque is a good thing. Contrary to popular ricer-mythology, torque does not make you slow.

That being said:
I'm kinda' biased towards the B18C1 or JDM ITR. The transmission linkage is more like the D-series and feels better than cable shift to me. That and I've broken two shift cables and that sucks (one in the Prelude and one in my old Daytona) And I like having A/C and P/S. I'm a windows down guy but when the temp goes above 100 it's A/C time. Also when it's 95 and raining it's nice to have A/C to de-fog the windows.

2 slow

5+ Year Member
okay felows thx for the advice i guess its going to come down to which is easier to source at the time and i will be boosting the crap out of the motor i choose which right now looks like the h22a due to the fact i dont run p/s or a/c i live in ohio so that doesnt really matter to me i just want to go fast so like i said thx

joshb_

FB6
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Beelzebubba said:
Truthfully, the H22 isn't that much heavier, but it is bulkier and you do typically have to give up more. (P/S, A/C)and then theres that 20 or so ftlbs of torque at a lower rpm.

Torque is a good thing. Contrary to popular ricer-mythology, torque does not make you slow.

That being said:
I'm kinda' biased towards the B18C1 or JDM ITR. The transmission linkage is more like the D-series and feels better than cable shift to me. That and I've broken two shift cables and that sucks (one in the Prelude and one in my old Daytona) And I like having A/C and P/S. I'm a windows down guy but when the temp goes above 100 it's A/C time. Also when it's 95 and raining it's nice to have A/C to de-fog the windows.
The H is only about 35 lbs heavier....

And I could not agree more with the shifter linkage the h22 feels like poop compared to b/d :thumbs up

Nameyga

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ok man you want to know which will be better...reasonable cash

B18 because its an easy swap, and after a good tune you will eat the H22 ant low end, and even high end...But if its Highway torque you want the H22 is a beast.

h22 is great if you get traction bars, and an h brace and some good coil overs.

So for street and take off B18

for Highway KILLS H22..

for bother traction bars help so you can canyon run if you want...

stealthy

4 Doors For More Whores
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
5th gen hatch said:
go with gsr i heard swapping the h22 cause bad handling unless you have a good aftermarket suspension
you HEARD? wow. im gonna listen to you.

ive swapped, driven, worked on h22 civics. they handle fine, actually a little bit better due to the SMALL amount (35ish lbs) of extra weight. if anything, get integra spec springs or any heavier spring.

as for shift linkage, it does feel sloppy opposed to a b/d. you'll live with it.

am i saying swap a h22 over a gsr? no. not if you want to (for example) boost a stock motor. gsr hands down bc the h22 cant take as much due to the sleeves. are you gonna leave the motor stock? then swap a h22 and have some trq. theres ups and downs to both. i love my gsr. but ive also enjoyed many drives in 3 of my friends h22 swapped (1 built/boosted) civics.

*EDIT*

also after reading some other posts in here, id have to agree with Beelzebubba. as for swapping, the gsr is gonna be easier, but that does NOT mean the h22 is hard. and for not having ps/ac, i live in ohio as well, and i removed both of mine when i put my built gsr back in, not a big deal to me personally. however, when i move down to FL in a few months, i may kick myself.....but not really. now i see the OP plans on boosting, and if you are planning to boost a stock motor, dont waste your time with an h22. let me clear up that it CAN be done, before people try to act like im ignorant :roll:

what you will find if you search for this topic is the same thing, in every thread. the pros and cons to both swaps (and more) have been covered. see for yourself.

notice, through all of this, i have not told you what to swap.

FRODO

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
stealthy said:
you HEARD? wow. im gonna listen to you.

ive swapped, driven, worked on h22 civics. they handle fine, actually a little bit better due to the SMALL amount (35ish lbs) of extra weight. if anything, get integra spec springs or any heavier spring.

as for shift linkage, it does feel sloppy opposed to a b/d. you'll live with it.

am i saying swap a h22 over a gsr? no. not if you want to (for example) boost a stock motor. gsr hands down bc the h22 cant take as much due to the sleeves. are you gonna leave the motor stock? then swap a h22 and have some trq. theres ups and downs to both. i love my gsr. but ive also enjoyed many drives in 3 of my friends h22 swapped (1 built/boosted) civics.
:werd: :werd: :werd: Could not agree anymore. 100% true.

stealthy

4 Doors For More Whores
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
FRODO said:
:werd: :werd: :werd: Could not agree anymore. 100% true.
thanks sir. i made an edit to that post as well.

tunerfreak87

i like snails.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
that was one of the most factual, intelligent posts i have ever read on this forum. :thumbs up :thumbs up :thumbs up

2 slow

5+ Year Member
up on furter inspection and research i thank the guys who recently posted smooth shifting is a necessity as i will be auto xing and fw drifting this season as wel as the usual 1/4 mile dragging so from what i feel as result of your im put is that a b18c1 is the way for me to go i need a tight ride w/ smooth shifting and being able to boost the b18 is a decding factor well im going to order the b18c1 off of jdm motors well gotta work later

snoob

9k RPM and 1+ Lateral G
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
honestly GSR is the idea, but h22 would be much cooler =)