Opinions on Lowering Options

mrmarc

5+ Year Member
Okay, I've looked around and tried to read up as much as I could about lowering my 99 Civic Coupe, and what I have come to grips with is that I will need something adjustable since I know I will be getting new wheels in the near future (not sure what size yet) and don't want to be stuck with one suspension setting.

What I can't seem to figure out is if I want ground controls or a complete coilover kit. My brother recently installed coilovers on his MR2, replacing his lowering springs and shocks. I see that he's able to really fine-tune his suspension considerably more than before when he just had adjustable shocks.

Now, if I were to go with ground controls, I already know which ones to get, at least based on my gearhead brother's recommendations, since he once tuned a Civic as well. However, I'm still unsure as to which coilovers I should consider. I can't afford anything absurd, of course, but I'm not looking to buy the cheapest either. If I had to label it, I'd say I'm looking for an entry-level, if you will, coilover system that I won't regret buying in a few months. I expect to spend around $600-$1000 on the coilovers, but if I can keep it around $800 or less, that would be ideal.

I'd like to get opinions on both and suggestions for the coilover models I might want to look at. If you can post a brief argument as to why you suggest a particular model, that would be great.

By the way, I'm sure I already know the answer, but are those "Skunk 'PRO'" coilover kits on eBay even worth mentioning? Right off the bat, my brother said the springs might be too stiff for my application -- I don't race anymore, but I still want my car to not have that stock look.

Thanks.

CivicMafia

5+ Year Member
I dont think you'll mind it being too stiff, my coil overs are stiff not extremly but i still use it as a daily driver and i got used to it, and i think i like it that way

mrmarc

5+ Year Member
I dont think you'll mind it being too stiff, my coil overs are stiff not extremly but i still use it as a daily driver and i got used to it, and i think i like it that way
I don't mind a stiff ride either, but if I can get a more comfortable setup for a similar price, I would probably rather go with that since I drive over 100 miles a day with carpoolers.

I'm still hoping for feedback on the overall argument for ground effects vs full coilovers, though.

Thanks. =)